November Hate Crimes

Center for International Services hosts Asian student-led forum

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Hundreds of students gathered in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall's Gifford Auditorium to express concerns to SU administrators.

button that navigates the reader to the Chinese version of this article

The Center for International Services hosted a forum Thursday night for Asian students, faculty members and administrators to address recent incidents of racist and anti-Semitic hate crimes on and near Syracuse University’s campus.

Students were notified about the forum via WeChat, a Chinese social media and messaging platform. No official email from SU was sent to notify students across campus about the forum.

“Why don’t you involve us officially?” one student asked. “We need your answers through email — publicly.”

Wei Gao, the assistant director for international student orientation in the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs, started the WeChat initiative to better engage with Chinese students, she said.

Students voiced concerns about improving curriculum for SEM 100, a diversity-focused course for first-year students, and expanding Mandarin-speaking counseling services, financial aid and international student visas for internship opportunities. The forum was held in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall Thursday night beginning at 5 p.m.

11-14-19_diversityforum_elizabethbillman_ape-31

Vice President for Research John Liu addressed students’ concerns at the forum. Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado said that despite the university’s wide system of security cameras, cameras are not installed in bathrooms and residence hall floors, where these incidents occurred.

“We have to rely on witnesses,” said Maldonado. “We don’t have that at this point in time.”

He also cited the efforts of the Syracuse Police Department. If suspects are found, Maldonado says his team will consult the Onondaga District Attorney and the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

Nine faculty members were present at the forum to lead the conversation and to address any questions from students. Director of the Center for International Services Juan Tavares, Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer Keith Alford, and Vice President for Research John Liu led a lot of the discussion throughout the night.

A statement from Chinese student-led organizations was submitted to Chancellor Kent Syverud following the forum. The organizations were the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, China Development Think Tank and Global China Connection.

Students from these organizations outlined a set of demands including a forum between students and the Board of Trustees to be held twice a year and mandatory diversity training. Calls for more diverse mental health services and restructuring curriculum are also included in the list of demands. The demands largely echoed those of #NotAgainSU, a group of students who have held a sit-in at the Barnes Center at The Arch since Wednesday morning.

The racist vandalism earlier this week used racist slurs and language against black and Asian students in the bathroom, garbage cans, and bulletin board of Day Hall and the bathroom of the Physics Building. 

Rob Hradsky, vice president for the student experience, stated at the forum that SEM 100, a mandatory weekly diversity course for freshmen, will no longer be continued. Instead, the school plans to require first-year students to take a new one credit course. Hradsky said they will also create at least a three-credit course required for all students centered around social justice.

“SEM 100 was meant to be a temporary solution to give our faculty time to develop a curriculum that will be meaningful and impactful to the student population,” said Hradsky.

The new curriculum is meant to be a joint effort among students, faculty members and administrators. He said the new curriculum might take years to successfully finish. Amanda Nicholson, assistant provost and dean of student success, is part of the team constructing the new curriculum. She was also present at the forum.

111419_hbcforum_willfudge_sp-12

Chancellor Kent Syverud was in Rochester for a University alumni event during the forum. Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Many students asked for more counseling services for international students, especially Mandarin-speaking professionals to be available at SU. 

“We only have one Mandarin-speaking counselor,” Liu said as he turned to Tavares. “Can we change that?”

“Yes,” Tavares said. 

Jessica Tran, a sophomore from Vietnam, stood up and addressed the audience instead of administrators. She asked how many students in attendance were international students. The majority of the students in the auditorium raised their hands. 

“Now, who here receives some form of financial aid?” Tran asked. Almost no one raised their hand. Following the interaction, students in the audience asked other questions about increasing financial aid and funding for international students and services. 

Tavares said he is committed to expanding financial aid services as well as internship opportunities for international students. Chenyu Wang, president of the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, mentioned at the forum that the visa process makes it difficult for students to find internships and jobs after graduation. 

In light of Chancellor Kent Syverud’s absence, students shouted “Where is Kent?” throughout the forum. The Chancellor was in Rochester for a #SU150 alumni celebration, per a tweet from the Syracuse Alumni account.

“I don’t think you guys have the power. It’s not in your power,” one student shouted at officials. “You’re not saying it, so let us talk to (Syverud). That’s what we want now. We’ve talked to you enough. So, let us talk to him now.”

— Copy Chief Kaizhao (Zero) Lin contributed reporting to this story.