November hate crimes

Campus organizations support #NotAgainSU protesters

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

The student’s sit-in began at around 10:30 a.m. and is expected to last until 1 a.m.

Campus organizations have posted online and released statements in support of the more than 100 students sitting in at the Barnes Center at The Arch to protest the university’s handling of racist graffiti found in a residence hall.

The students’ sit-in began at around 10:30 a.m. and is expected to last until 1 a.m. Thursday morning. At the sit-in, protesters organized under the hashtag#NotAgainSU presented demands for Syracuse University officials. If the demands are not meant by 3 p.m. on Nov. 20, the protesters are calling for the resignation of Chancellor Kent Syverud and Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer Keith Alford.

The demands came after racial slurs against black and Asian people were written on two floors Day Hall. Wednesday’s sit-in follows two forums held Monday and Tuesday to discuss the racist graffiti.

“This most recent incident in Day Hall serves as a catalyst for actions currently being taken, as this incident is just one of many that have occurred on campus in recent years,” a post on the #NotAgainSU Instagram page reads.

Some campus organizations have canceled events in support of the sit-in, while others have posted supportive messages online. Otto’s Army, SU’s student-run fan organization for athletic events, announced on Instagram that it would not attend Wednesday night’s SU men’s basketball game “in light of the university’s handling of recent hate crimes that have occurred on campus.”

The post used the hashtag #unpackthedome. The Carrier Dome’s student section was mostly empty at the game.

“The constant lack of transparency from Administration and disregard for students of color on campus is completely unacceptable and we offer our support to ALL students,” Otto’s Army wrote in an earlier Instagram post showing #NotAgainSU. “Join the fight today at Barnes Center.”

Student Association in a campus-wide email said that it stands in solidarity with the students. The organization will use its position to put pressure on the university to adopt demands presented by students, per the email.

SA listed concerns and solutions members heard while attending the forums held this week. Those points included improved and mandated diversity training for faculty and staff, revised SU and Department of Public Safety policies regarding hate speech, and increased funding to campus resources dedicated to improving the experience of marginalized communities.

“We recognize as Student Association that our advocacy for Black students and marginalized communities has not been sufficient enough in creating change,” read the email, which was sent by SA Vice President Sameeha Saied.

Both Saied and SA President Mackenzie Mertikas participated in the sit-in.

SU’s Panhellenic Council in an Instagram post encouraged all council members to participate in solidarity with the protesters. Interfraternity Council also issued a statement supporting the protest and asking its members to join in.

First Year Players cancelled its general interest meeting in support of the sit-in. The Remembrance Scholars’ Twitter also posted a message encouraging people to support or participate in the protests.

“We’ve vowed to educate our communities on terrorism,” the post reads. “We are heartbroken to see a personal act of terrorism happen on campus just last week.”