Rowing

Syracuse rowing places top 10 in Head of the Charles Regatta

Courtesy of SU Athletics

Declan Fischback rows at the Packard Cup.

On a cloudy October day on the Charles River, Syracuse propelled itself along a three-mile stretch of water. Both Syracuse’s No. 8 men’s rowing team and No. 18 women’s team placed in the top 10 in their respective championship four races at the 2019 Head of the Charles Regatta — the largest two-day regatta in the world.

The men’s championship four team was bow No. 15, containing Max Moltzan, Benjamin Dukes, Nicolay Yngsdal, John Kiely and coxswain Bricen Nygaard. They overtook one other team to finish in fourth and finished the race with a 16:01.915.

The women’s championship four team included Helena O’Donnell, Grace Asch, Rachel Pierce, Emma Braun and coxswain Hannah Murphy. They finished the race with a 18:19.204 in 8th place. 

The men’s championship eight team finished 14th overall at 14:07.425, and the women’s championship eight team finished 17th with a time of 16:02.382.

At the 2018 Head of the Charles Regatta, the women’s team placed 13th overall in the championship eight race and ninth overall in the Club 8 race. The men’s team didn’t compete at the 2018 Head of the Charles Regatta.  

In the first event of the season at the Head of the Housatonic, both the men’s and women’s first varsity eight placed third overall. 

The men’s and women’s teams wrap up their fall season on Saturday, Nov. 2 at the Cornell Autumn Classic in Ithaca, NY.