SU senior invents watch to monitor glucose levels after diabetes diagnosis

Emily Mcneill | Staff Photographer

Russell Fearon was first diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes his sophomore year. Now, he will demonstrate his glucose-monitoring wristwatch at a competition in Washington, D.C.

Russell Fearon vividly remembers the first time his symptoms were unbearable. As a sophomore at Syracuse University, he traveled back to his Long Island home from school for the weekend and couldn’t swallow his mother’s home-cooked lasagna without taking a sip of water right afterwards.  

He always felt thirsty and had lost a considerable amount of weight in a short period of time. He was the type to wait until the very last minute to see the doctor, but after feeling the weakest he’s ever felt, he knew something was wrong. He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.  

Now a senior, Fearon is developing a glucose-monitoring wristwatch that he will demonstrate at the EmPOWERED to Serve Business Accelerator Program. He’ll compete Thursday night at the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C. 

With the gadget, Fearon hopes to facilitate diabetes management and create a community for people with diabetes, destigmatizing the disease. 

He initially felt alone, changing his diet and monitoring his blood sugar levels, but the the device helps combat his discomfort.

“When I first got it, I felt so alone and isolated,” he said. “I didn’t know anybody who had it or anybody who was in that position. Going around looking at people, you would never know if they do or if they don’t.” 

wristwatch sitting on table

Fearon thought of the idea of creating the wristwatch at Invent@SU in July. Emily Mcneill | Staff Photographer

Type 1 diabetes occurs when the pancreas creates little to no insulin — a hormone that transports blood sugar to cells, which is then used for human function. Without insulin, blood sugar builds up in the bloodstream causing high blood sugar levels.  

The type Fearon has is less common than Type 2 and is typically diagnosed in children, teens and young adults. Fearon said that to his knowledge, no one else in his immediate or extended family has either type. 

Fearon said he feels that the current blood-checking process which uses needles and other tools draws too much attention.  

“Having the hidden (watch) is really cool because it’s privacy,” Fearon said. “But especially for me just starting out, not knowing anybody and feeling super alone, this would be amazing because then you recognize that there are other people who have this.” 

The mechanical engineering major first thought of the idea for this product when he participated in Invent@SU in July. After interning during his first two college summers, Fearon wanted to try something new and more entrepreneurial. 

He partnered with his fellow SU student and industrial design major, Ricardo Sanchez, to brainstorm an invention to pitch for the competition at the end of the program. The two were able to combine the skills they learned from their respective majors to do research and build a prototype for the watch. 

“We thought of a few ideas, but once it came to me, it was love at first sight,” Fearon said. “It was exactly what I needed.” 

pulp-diabetes-2

Eva Suppa | Digital Design Editor

Despite not placing at the end of the competition, Fearon networked with other inventors and executives which opened new opportunities for him to continue developing his product. He gained mentors on and off campus who have guided him throughout his endeavors. 

Fearon is appreciative of the help and guidance he has received, as he did not expect the amount of support and recognition he has accumulated. Much of this has come from the College of Engineering and Computer Science, Blackstone LaunchPad and SU’s chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers where he is the treasurer. 

In a way, Blackstone LaunchPad has become Fearon’s campaign headquarters. One of his advisors and the executive director of Blackstone LaunchPad, Linda Dickerson Hartsock, said that she was moved by Fearon’s story. 

“It struck me that he was an amazing innovator and inventor,” she said. “The LaunchPad really wanted to work with him to turn him into an equally amazing entrepreneur.” 

Interim assistant dean of inclusive excellence for the College of Engineering and Computer Science, Karen Davis, has known Fearon since he was a freshman. She said he arrived at Syracuse with top-notch skills and is proud that he pursued his passion to try something different. 

“That’s one thing I can say about him for the whole four years,” she said. “It looks as though he’s got some goals out there, and he’s putting the pieces to the puzzle to achieve those goals.” 

Three weeks after Invent@SU, Fearon participated in the World of Money business pitch competition where he was then recruited to participate in the upcoming EmPOWERED to Serve Business Accelerator Program founded by the American Heart Association. 

pulp-diabetes

Eva Suppa | Digital Design Editor

Fearon is currently one of nine finalists in the competition. Of the nine, he is the only competitor with a product-based idea and is the only college student in the competition something he hopes to use to his advantage. 

“College has so many opportunities to meet people, so many connections,” he said. “I can’t imagine any of these people having the Blackstone LaunchPad, like a group of entrepreneurs who are like-minded like me and are working on their own thing.” 

A panel of judges Fearon will be pitching his product to is comprised of CEOs and executives, like Leyonna Barba, the executive director of JPMorgan Chase, and Lawrence Griffith, the founder and CEO of Digital Factory, whose work has led to technology like Android Pay and Apple Pay.  

Fearon said he plans to use his youthfulness and positive energy to liven up the room when he pitches his invention. 

First and second place winners are determined by candidate’s inspiration, their problem-solving abilities and the societal impact of their idea. Each winner will receive a grant of $50,000 and $20,000, respectively. The Fan Favorite candidate is determined by votes and will receive a $5,000 grant.  

Fearon has his nerves under control and is ready to be a fresh face in the competition. 

“My name is Fearon for a reason. I try not to get over-anxious about things like (this),” he said. “I’m just going to do what I can do, do what I’ve been practicing. If they love it, they love it. If not, I’m going to keep working.”