Letters To The Editor

SU graduate says we need to find the funding, talent and resources to improve public education

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

Poor wages and poor decision-making skills have left many public school students unprepared for the next stage of their academic careers.

Dear Editor,

Will the pre-college preparatory curriculums at public schools properly prepare your child with the necessary building blocks to attend a good trade school, community college or university? Is public education still as high quality as it was years ago?

I started my time at Syracuse University in 1967 in a college I chose based on my personal interests, a great public school education and support from my school’s proactive guidance counselor.

I stayed in that college for almost two years, but I eventually found that college was not helpful to freshmen or sophomores in counseling or future career planning. Before transferring out, I approached my college adviser, and he asked me why I hadn’t come to him sooner.

He took no personal responsibility for reaching out, nor stepping up or going above and beyond. I happen to know that has changed significantly at that college since.

After transferring to Whitman, I had a very different experience. The assistant to the dean did everything possible to make me feel welcome and get the proper leg up on finishing my education.

These days, however, it seems to be much different at the preparatory or pre-college school levels. Some schools perform well and seem to prepare their students for college entry while others in the Syracuse area and around the country lag behind.

Initiatives like No Child Left Behind have been somewhat of a joke, or at least a myth. Ask any teachers, administrators or guidance counselors.

I decided to speak out to say that I am very disappointed that the important social issues and political debate topics have often missed the biggest one: high quality education.

My wife, who graduated from SU in 1973, taught school for more than 30 years. She routinely spent her own money to improve the classroom and learning experiences of her students like so many other great teachers. She was a dedicated teacher who went above and beyond.

My current home state is currently near the bottom of the barrel on student spending and salaries. How is the Syracuse area or Central New York doing?

Why did our schools and the education process fall short? We need to be on the same side and work together as positive change agents to find the funding, talent and resources to improve the education and experiential learning process.

Sincerely,

Hank Markiewicz

SU graduate

Phoenix, Arizona