Volleyball

Kendra Lukacs impresses in 3-1 loss to Wake Forest

Will Fudge | Staff Photographer

Kendra Lukacs recorded 10 digs in Friday night's loss to Wake Forest.

The Syracuse coaching staff was uneasy heading into the home opener against Wake Forest. Injuries have forced head coach Leonid Yelin and the rest of his staff to experiment with formations and positions in the early parts of Atlantic Coast Conference play. But on Friday, senior outside hitter Kendra Lukacs, who hasn’t played in 2019 due to a shoulder injury, was labeled as a game-time decision.  

“I didn’t even know she was gonna dress until right before the match,” said assistant coach Derryk Williams on Lukacs’ injury report before the game. “And she showed up and balled out.” 

Lukacs hasn’t played in a competitive match for the Orange since last season, as she’s dealt with a shoulder injury that sidelined her for this season’s first nine games. Though she’s listed on the roster as an outside hitter, Lukacs was tasked to start at the defensive position of libero — a position she’s played sporadically — to fill in for the injured Aliah Bowllan on Friday. 

Lukacs tallied 10 digs, most of which kept key rallies and points alive in multiple portions of the match. In Syracuse’s (4-6, 1-2 Atlantic Coast) 3-1 loss to Wake Forest (11-3, 1-2) in the Women’s Building, Lukacs provided relief to an SU roster that has struggled with injuries in recent weeks. 

“She played out of her mind,” Williams said. “Today she proved that she would do anything to keep the ball off the floor. She did that so many times and it helped us extend and win points that we haven’t been winning in the past weeks due to injuries.” 

In the second set, Lukacs was pivotal in keeping long rallies alive with dramatic digs. With Syracuse only leading by one in the middle of the set, Wake Forest hit a ball into a soft spot of Syracuse’s defense. Lukacs raced into the middle and dove to launch the ball back towards the front of the net. Middle blocker Dana Gardner took the ball and delivered a kill to extend Syracuse’s lead. 

Lukacs was also pivotal in making sure that the rest of her teammates were in the right spots on the court.

“I think I’ve always been the type of player to go anywhere the team needs me,” said Lukacs.

Yelin said Lukacs “played excellent” as a libero.

With the Orange shorthanded at multiple positions, Lukacs showed that her ball control and defensive abilities are good enough for her to be a short-term answer at the libero spot while SU waits for Bowllan to return. 

“That’s what we want as a senior leader,” Williams said, “(We) want her to come on the court when we need her.”