Ice Hockey

Defender Jessica DiGirolamo named College Hockey America Player of the Week

Ally Walsh | Staff Photographer

The junior tallied 18 points last year and made the CHA All-Tournament Team.

Syracuse defender Jessica DiGirolamo took home the College Hockey America Player of the Week following an impressive showing in the Orange’s loss to No. 7 Boston College.

Despite being the only CHA school to play a single game this weekend, DiGirolamo was honored with the award after posting a goal and two assists in the Orange’s 4-3 loss. 

DiGirolamo’s goal came seven minutes into the final period of Saturday’s game. After receiving a saucer pass from fellow defender Kristen Siermachesky, Digirolamo finished off the two-on-one by roofing a far-side wrist shot over the sprawling Eagles goaltender. 

The goal brought Boston College’s lead down to two, which DiGirolamo soon helped to cut in half after her shot from the corner created a rebound in front for Orange forward Anonda Hoppner, who deposited the puck in the net. SU was unable to tie the game in the final minutes of the game.

DiGirolamo said she enjoys playing against higher ranked opponents like Boston College.

“It gets us working, and it makes us play at a higher place,” DiGirolamo said.

DiGirolamo also started the 2018-19 season on a hot streak, opening the year on a four-game point streak. The junior is looking to build off of last season, during which she tallied 7 goals and 11 assists and finished the year with a CHA All-Tournament Team selection.