Women's Soccer

Taylor Bennett’s equalizer gives Syracuse a 1-1 draw in ACC Opener

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse is now 2-4-2 on the season after Friday's draw.

Syracuse had just one shot on goal all night. It happened to be from exactly 12 yards away. And Taylor Bennett’s penalty kick in the 61st minute proved to be the only shot on net the Orange needed to tie. 

After 110 minutes of play at Petersen Sports Complex in Pittsburgh, on Friday night, Syracuse (2-4-2, 0-0-1 Atlantic Coast) drew 1-1 with the Panthers (3-4-2, 0-0-1) It’s the first time the Orange have not been defeated in an ACC match since Oct. 26, 2017, when SU tied Virginia Tech 0-0. 

The Panthers struck first with a goal in the 38th minute by freshman forward Rachel Rasins. Junior goalkeeper Lysianne Proulx kept the deficit at one with two saves in the first half. Pittsburgh continued to apply pressure in the second half, generating six corners but turning none into points. The Orange had zero corners in the second half, but made the most of a costly mistake by Pitt in the box to tie the match at one. 

Neither side was fairly disciplined, with Syracuse totaling 19 fouls and one yellow card — issued to junior defender Shannon Aviza. Pittsburgh didn’t fare much better, committing 15 penalties. Proulx continued to produce, finishing with seven saves, including three in the first overtime period. 

This was also the first match back for sophomore defender Jenna Tivnan, giving the injury-depleted Orange some much needed depth to preserve the deadlock. The Orange used four substitutes in total, with freshman Alexandra Panaggio playing over 50 minutes for the second time.