Syracuse defenders break down team’s turnover success

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Syracuse tied for third in the country in takeaways in 2018 with 31.

The Syracuse secondary has a friendly wager amongst itself this year. With a $100 buy-in from each defensive back, the unit is out to see who will be the most disruptive in 2019.

They’re awarded points based on various defensive stats including turnovers. Forced fumbles, interceptions and scoring touchdowns bring in the most points while pass break-ups count for less.

It’s one sign that this year’s team is not only thinking about turnovers but producing them. In 2017, Syracuse finished tied for 115th out of Division I FBS 129 teams with 12 forced turnovers in 12 games played. The Orange’s shift to an influx of turnover production started the next season when SU tied for third in the country with 31 takeaways. Through four games, Syracuse (2-2, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) has caused 11 turnovers, tied for first in the nation, and has forced a turnover in 18 straight games, the third-longest active streak in the FBS.

“From a guy that’s on the offensive side of the football,” said Syracuse head coach Dino Babers, “to have a streak like that is really impressive.”

Last year, cornerback Chris Fredrick partially credited the uptick in takeaways to what he dubbed “turnover tape.” Defensive coordinator Brian Ward showed the defense a compilation of dropped interceptions, forced fumbles that weren’t scooped up and failed attempts to strip the ball.

This past year, the missed opportunities were less prominent and it has started with the turnover circuit the Orange visit in practice. Normally broken into four stations — each filled by a different position group on the defense — the drills consist of scoop and score fumble recovery drills, a strip sack simulation and punching the football out of the ball carriers hand.

The final drill listed, where one defender wraps up the offensive player while a second player smacks the ball, played out in Syracuse’s first game just as the team had seen in practice. Trill Williams, known as one of the best fumble forcers on the team, chased a running back from behind. With one swing of his left arm, the closest chance Liberty had to a touchdown was over and the ball lay on a Syracuse player’s chest on the ground.

“It’s really engraved in our minds to get turnovers,” cornerback Scoop Bradshaw said. “You know to get the ball, try to get a pick, don’t big play hunt but instead go for it. Next man in on strips — it’s engraved in our heads.”

In the Orange’s most recent game against Western Michigan, defensive end Alton Robinson displayed the ball seeking pass rush from practice. As Robinson pushed his blocker toward the WMU quarterback, he clubbed the ball with his right arm, opting for a shot at a fumble rather than the player’s body.

“[Defensive tackles] Coach [Vinson] Reynolds really preaches if you have a chance to hit the quarterback, go for the ball,” defensive tackle Josh Black said, “because if you hit the ball out it counts as a sack and a strip.”

Black noted that the objective of rushing the passer is to first secure the tackle with the inside arm then swat with the outside arm. Last year, that led to five forced fumbles from defensive linemen.

Fredrick, a redshirt senior, said one of the bigger differences in pass coverage between when he first started with Syracuse five seasons ago is how the players use each other. For example, in zone coverage, defenders now do a better job blocking off entry into their isolated zone and forcing receivers into more crowded parts of the defense where other members of the secondary can make a play on the ball.

This scenario played out in Andre Cisco’s interception against Liberty. As Fredrick played the outside portion of his receiver, he left the inside open, knowing Cisco had help in that direction. When LU quarterback Stephen Calvert threw to what thought was an open receiver escaping from Fredrick, Cisco barreled into the throwing lane for an interception.

“It kind of just comes with learning the overall scheme of defense more,” Fredrick said. “Making sure you know where the weak points are and kind of trying to keep guys out of spots.”

Senior staff writer Andrew Graham contributed reporting to this story.