Environment Column

Syracuse climate strike is what environmental activism should look like

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

The climate strike provided attendees with the resources to keep the spirit of activism going on a day-to-day basis.

Four million protesters took to the streets worldwide on Friday as part of a global climate strike. In the United States, protests were dominated by grievances focused on environmental justice for marginalized and underrepresented people, the need for clean and renewable energy and the absence of elected representatives and policymakers who will embrace an environmentally responsible future.

At Syracuse University, students gathered on the Quad and headed to Forman Park. Student activists with picket signs and Djembe drums were backed by Sunrise CNY, Indivisible NY24, Alliance for a Green Economy, Climate Change Awareness & Action and the CNY Solidarity Coalition.

As the crowd began to fill the park, it became evident that environmental issues were not just on the minds of college students. Baby boomers, high school and middle school students, babies and pets were scattered throughout the park.

Events like these demonstrate that the fight for climate change reform doesn’t hold any prejudices. It was a strike for everyone, and it is the type of action we as environmentalists need to embrace to promote change.

Ana Kanegin, an SU student and a first time environmental protester said the strike provided young people with a necessary voice.

“It’s amazing to have this platform,” she said. “We have social media and may preach activism online, but when there is such a huge number of people in one place, we amplify our voices. When we are all together, we can’t be ignored. Events like this raise the urgency level of this problem and will make people want to educate themselves on the issue.”

In between dynamic music performances, guest speakers informed strikers of the environmental malpractices that exist within our governmental systems today. The speakers let the crowd know that the only way to make a change is to vote and to make the environmental movement a common idea.

Liam McMonagle, a member of the Sunrise Movement and a political science and broadcast journalism major at SU, said the movement reignites passion and determination in activists.

“Climate justice is an issue that can make us feel small and helpless,” he said. “Seeing a mass mobilization and support group such as this can only strengthen our cause.”

McMonagle added that making connections at the event is important to keep people who are behind the same goal joined together.

The climate strike provided attendees with the resources to keep the spirit of activism going on a day-to-day basis. The live music, speeches and chants heightened a sense of community around a common goal of protecting and restoring the environment.

Protesters chanted “power to the planet, power to the people.” And they’re right. It’s easy to make posts on social media about our environmental goals or to condemn decisions made by corporations or politicians. But it’s harder to get out there and prove the power of this movement. That’s what this climate strike did, and that’s what we as environmental activists need to do more of.

Anthonyne Metelus is a sophomore conservation biology major. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].