on campus

SU officially opens Barnes Center at The Arch

Chris Hippensteel | Contributing Writer

ESPN sportscaster Sean McDonough, an SU alumnus, emceed the opening ceremony.

Syracuse University held a dedication ceremony Friday to showcase the fully-renovated Barnes Center at The Arch.

SU students, alumni and faculty gathered just outside The Arch for the unveiling. Chancellor Kent Syverud and former Board of Trustees chair Steven Barnes spoke at the ceremony, and SU alumni and ESPN sportscaster Sean McDonough emceed. The university’s marching band performed as well.

“We’re not just dedicating a beautiful new facility today,” Syverud said in his opening address. “We’re recognizing something even more important: the transformation of the student experience at this university.”

The dedication marked the completion of an 18-month renovation project intended to consolidate the university’s health and wellness resources under one roof.

While many of The Arch’s facilities have been open to students since the beginning of the fall semester, others, like the esports gaming room and lap pool, weren’t fully open until the dedication. The building welcomed more than 40,000 visitors before the dedication took place, McDonough said.

In addition to hosting the event, McDonough also received the George Arents award, the university’s highest alumni honor.

Steven Barnes, the namesake of the project and one of its top donors, presented last. He said he was proud to have contributed to a building that would “enhance the student experience,” and thanked all the SU faculty and students who made The Arch a reality.

Following the dedication ceremony, The Arch opened its doors for students and returning alumni to explore. Inside, visitors found four floors of health and wellness spaces, including several exercise rooms, meditation spaces, basketball courts and a lap pool. Many students took the opportunity to participate in free fitness classes or stop by the pet therapy room.

“Having dogs is a great way for (The Arch) to engage with students,” said Lia Figurelli, a peer educator and a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences. The pet therapy program is looking to expand and bring in different types of animals over the course of the semester, she said.

Friday offered many students their first chance to experience The Arch’s e-sports room, one of the last areas of the facility to open. The space features top-of-the-line gaming hardware, including several rows of computers, a wall of flat-screen TVs, and a wide variety of gaming consoles.

“It’s a nice distraction, to be able to have school during the day and then come here and play video games,” said Serena Fazal, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, who had stopped by to play Mario Kart on one of the new consoles.

The Arch is a key part of the university’s Campus Framework, a 20-year plan to further develop campus. SU unveiled The Arch as part of its 150th anniversary celebration, a recognition of the SU’s history that will encompass events throughout the academic year.

During his speech, Syverud reflected on the legacy of the old Archbold Gymnasium, which underwent renovations to become The Arch. He also acknowledged the university’s desire to look forward and to continue searching for better ways to support the health and well-being of students.

“Today is not just a dedication ceremony. Today is the beginning of transformation that will be the start of a better student experience at Syracuse University,” Syverud said. “And there is much more to come.”