New Slutzker Center director understands challenges of being an international student

Emily McNeill | Contributing Writer

Juan Tavares, who was a former international student when he was an undergraduate, is now the director of the Slutzker Center for International Services.

Looking for an opportunity to both swim competitively and continue his studies after high school, Juan Tavares decided to attend Michigan State University. But this decision meant leaving his home in the Dominican Republic.

Once an international student, now, Tavares is the new director of the Lillian and Emanuel Slutzker Center for International Services. He began his role at Syracuse University in July and since then, he has worked directly with international students.

He said he understands traveling thousands of miles away to study in a different country.

“I went through all the issues that international students went through: applying for a visa, getting on a plane and coming really far. And being away from home and parents and your culture, your food,” Tavares said. “So I really identify with them.”

Tavares said he has worked with students throughout his entire career — even before he began working in international education. He added that he’s had the opportunity to connect with students in every field he has worked in.

a1_091819_juantavares_emilymcneill_cp_02

Juan Tavares has worked in the higher education field since 1988. He started out in recreation management and now works in international education. Emily McNeill | Contributing Photographer

Jamie Leonard who is the office and administrative specialist for international student services at Southwest Minnesota State University, worked with Tavares for about nine months at SMSU. She said that Tavares is a warm and genuine person with a calm, even-tempered personality.

Leonard also noted Tavares’ passion for supporting international students, adding that he was respected by the student body.

“He was always willing to help (international students) with any problems and talk them through any issues that they were having,” she said.

Kim Cho, international admissions counselor at Western Michigan University, worked closely with Tavares for ten years. She said that Tavares’ ability to interact with students stood out to her. Cho added she thinks Tavares’ experience as an international student allowed him to relate to international students.

Tavares said he enjoyed seeing how SU supported international students during their orientation that took place a week before orientation for first-year and transfer students.

He has worked in the higher education field since 1988, starting out in recreation management before switching to admissions and finally to international education.

Over 4,400international students attend SU, and they make up about 19% of the undergraduate freshman class and 35% of the graduate student population, Tavares said.

One way Tavares is creating more transparency is by reserving Friday as a day for students to meet with him. He said he hopes to increase the number of programs and services available for international students, specifically graduate students. He also wants to add more off-campus work opportunities for international students and plans to encourage them to apply for summer internships.

Tavares has traveled to nearly 60 countries, and that most was after he started working in international education, including for recruitment.

Tavares has worked with student organizations to set up SU’s first International Festival, which will be Nov. 3 at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center. The festival will include food and artistic presentations created by international students.

He emphasized that he is not the only person who is passionate about supporting international students in the SU community, saying he’s part of a 12-person team.

To Leonard, Tavares’ advocacy for international students has been a priority for him since she has known him.

“He was very respectful of students from all cultures,” Leonard said, “and I think that was one of the things that he was most respected for.”