on campus

The Marshall adds 24-hour patrol after intruder

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Police arrived at the Marshall on Sept. 6 after an intruder was present at the property.

The Marshall Syracuse, a luxury student housing complex, will install a 24-hour patrol after a person trespassed on the property after an alarm evacuation. 

The evacuation occurred at The Marshall on Sept. 6, according to an email sent to the complex’s residents the next day. Police arrived at The Marshall following the fire alarm evacuation due to the trespasser. 

The Marshall’s management is currently assisting the Syracuse Police Department in its investigation of the incident. The property also has safety control measures and surveillance cameras in place. 

SPD spokesperson Sgt. Matthew Malinowski said Monday that he was unaware of an incident at The Marshall. A Department of Public Safety spokesperson said the incident was not in DPS’ jurisdiction. 

DPS’ jurisdiction includes both the SU campus and all properties that are owned, controlled or administered by the university. Real estate development company Syracuse 727 LLC created The Marshall, and the building is not owned by SU.

Malinowski did not respond to a second request for comment in time for publication.

Anne Love, a resident of The Marshall, said she wished the email The Marshall sent had shared more information. 

“The email confused me because I wasn’t sure if the intruder was still in the building when they sent that email,” Love said. “I feel like the email was kind of pointless because they didn’t tell us any real information, like what did this intruder look like.”

Deanna Lazo, another resident of The Marshall, said the incident didn’t make her nervous because a key fob is required to get into the building’s units. She said knowing the circumstances of the incident might make her think differently.

A spokesperson for The Marshall said in a statement the complex has communicated with its residents about adhering to security measures that require all doors be securely shut after entry and entrances not opened for non-residents. 

“The safety and well-being of our residents remains our top priority,” the spokesperson said. “We have nightly security at the property, and we are fully cooperating with local authorities in their investigation.”