Latinx/Hispanic Heritage Month 2019

La Casita Cultural Center’s new exhibit to highlight local Latinx culture

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Bennie Guzman, is one of the featured artists the exhibit. The exhibit includes a centerpiece mural in collaboration with students from the Syracuse Public School District youth. The exhibit it set to kickoff Friday.

latinxheritagemonth

UPDATED: Sept. 12, 2019 at 6:55 p.m.

La Casita Cultural Center is working to display an exhibit highlighting community artwork and culture in a meaningful way.

La Casita, a program through Syracuse University’s College of Arts and Sciences designed to bridge Hispanic communities on campus and in central New York, recently installed a new art exhibit, “Pa’ La Calle’ (To the Streets.).” The exhibit, which officially opens Friday, aims to highlight local, inner-city Latinx culture through dance, music and fine art, said Tere Paniagua, executive director for La Casita.

The opening show features elements of pop culture, including hip-hop and a mural created by youths in the area. These aspects tie in with the overall theme of youth empowerment, said Bennie Guzman, the communications manager at La Casita and one of the gallery’s featured artists.

Using La Casita’s connections with the local community, art teachers from the Syracuse City School District recommended to students to participate in creating a centerpiece for the exhibit, Paniagua said.

She said she was especially pleased by the enthusiasm of the students who created art pieces.

The staff wanted to approach this project differently from past projects, said Guzman. While the center was previously aimed toward elementary school students, “To the Streets” specifically targets teenagers.

“I think the entire show really looks at the barrios of Syracuse from all angles and focuses on the younger generation,” Guzman said.

Part of the exhibition features portraits of prominent leaders in the Syracuse community, one of which includes José Miguel Hernández Hurtado, artistic director of La Joven Guardia del Teatro Latino, according to a La Casita press release.

a1_09-11-19_lacasitaartistexhibit_coreyhenry_pe_23

Bennie Guzman’s portraits feature Syracuse community leaders, who Paniagua selected to recognize. Corey Henry| Photo Editor

Paniagua said Guzman began his artistic process for the exhibit by sitting down for a conversation with every individual. He then took information from the interviews to paint the portraits.

Hernández, who founded the theater center, said he aims to teach local Latino youths classical and contemporary forms of theater. He said in an email that the theater center his is the only Spanish theater troupe company for children and youths in central New York.

“Everything I do from my heart,” Hernàndez said. “It is an honor to be part of this exhibit and be featured by another talented Latino artist.”

Portraits that will be displayed alongside Hernàndez’s picture include Gregorio Jimenez, director of the Near Westside Initiative, and Bea González, vice president for community engagement at Syracuse University, among others.

But the opening night also includes live performances from both on and off campus organizations. Helping to celebrate the opening night is SU’s Raices Dance Troupe. Co-chairs Aimée Vargas and José Arrieta said the dance team has been rehearsing since the first weekend of the academic school year and is excited to perform for the kickoff.

Paniagua said while La Casita celebrates the heritage month broadly, she said this exhibit specifically celebrates the inner-city community within Syracuse.

“We are hoping that, by bringing in people well connected within the community, we can bring in a new audience to the exhibit and the center overall,” Guzman said, “We want to display and show off the inspiration and people behind this whole event.”

CLARIFICATION: In a previous version of this post, the process of Syracuse City School District students getting involved was misstated. Also, Bennie Guzman’s artistic process was misstated.