Fast reaction: 3 takeaways from Syracuse’s 52-33 win against Western Michigan

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Quarterback Tommy DeVito rushed nine times for 85 yards and a touchdown on Saturday.

On Saturday, Syracuse (2-2, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) recovered from two-straight blowout losses, beating Western Michigan (2-2) in the Carrier Dome, 52-33. 

On the back of a strong rushing game keyed by quarterback Tommy DeVito, the Orange opened up its offense for the first time all season and used several turnovers to stiff-arm the Broncos early.

Here are three takeaways as SU got back in the win column on Saturday.

DeVito running to victory? 

After struggling to consistently run the ball for three weeks, the Orange finally turned it loose with its rushing attack, keyed in by early runs from the quarterback. Yes, DeVito rushed for a 36-yard touchdown and had a 60-yard keeper on the second play of the game.

DeVito said he wants to be more of a pocket passer than Eric Dungey, but against the Broncos, his running unleashed SU’s offense in a way it hasn’t this season. The Orange rushed for 258 yards Saturday, their highest total of 2019 by far.

SU started hot on the ground. After keeping for little to no gain on the first play from scrimmage, DeVito fooled the defense on an option on second down, sprinting out to his right, down the sideline before getting shoved out 60 yards down the field. 

The Orange continued to pound the ball on the ground all game, even using DeVito on a designed carry. Early in the second quarter in an empty set, DeVito took the shotgun snap, dropped a step and then took off to his right. With no defender near him, he cruised untouched for a 36-yard score to make it 21-0 at the time. 

DeVito’s running isn’t the reason SU won, but his early success opened up the offense for Syracuse more than anything all season.

Trishton Jackson’s 2 touchdowns

His older brother played there, but wide receiver Trishton Jackson showed no love for Western Michigan on Saturday. 

Jackson proved why he’s Syracuse’s top option in the passing game Saturday, hauling in six passes for 141 yards and two touchdowns. Through four games this season, Jackson leads SU in receptions, receiving yards and total touchdowns.

He flashed his prowess in a two-touchdown showing against Maryland but got lost in a 43-point blowout. In a barn-burner on Saturday, he was SU’s star performer.

Jackson’s first touchdown looked a lot like the deep ball he dropped in the endzone against No. 1 Clemson. DeVito navigated the pocket, stepped up and flung a rainbow for Jackson to run under, and run under it he did. With a step on his defender, Jackson jumped above him, secured the ball as it fell right into his arms and let the defender’s momentum carry them into the endzone. 

On his second touchdown, Jackson caught a naked screen on the right side from DeVito. As the ball arrived, Jackson lunged towards it and curled upfield past his defender. A Western Michigan safety came and dove at his knees but Jackson kept moving forward, slipping the tackle and sprinting 46-yards to the end zone as the orange-clad stood and roared. 

Teammates and coaches talked all camp about Jackson’s abilities and he showcased them against the Broncos. 

Turnover time

Syracuse’s defense was one of the best in college football in 2018 in total turnovers forced and as a team, SU finished tied for fifth in the country in turnover margin (plus 13). Through three games in 2019, SU had forced seven turnovers but coughed the ball up eight times.

The Orange stuck to the 2019 trend on Saturday, capitalizing on three recovered WMU fumbles but giving two back on the ground along the way. 

SU’s first big swing came as WMU running back LeVante Bellamy extended his reach to the goal line, trying to make it 14-7, SU. But as he put the ball in harm’s way, defensive back Antwan Cordy jostled it loose and the ball popped out. SU recovered it in the endzone and took over at its 20-yard line. The Orange scored a touchdown on the ensuing 13-play, 80-yard drive. 

But it cut the other way. When running back Abdul Adams coughed it up at the Syracuse 34 and Western Michigan recovered, they chewed up the short field and cut SU’s narrow lead, making the score 38-33 just before the end of the third quarter. 

Part of SU’s success in 2018 was punishing teams for giving it free possessions. So far in 2019, it’s giving the ball right back.