on campus

DPS expands late-night escorts

Katie Reahl | Staff Photographer

For students on or near the SU campus, two additional shuttle vans will be available for late night transportation.

Syracuse University has implemented several measures to improve campus safety, the university announced Wednesday. 

The Department of Public Safety hired five trained, licensed and uniformed security guards to escort students, faculty and staff to their destinations on or near campus, according to an SU News release. The security guards, hired as part of the new neighborhood walking safety escort program, will provide the safety escorts from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. from Thursday to Saturday.

The security guards will station areas along Euclid Avenue, Marshall Street and Walnut Park when not escorting members of the campus community. The guards will also offer to escort students who are walking alone and will be in contact with DPS’ Emergency Communication Center.

For students on or near the SU campus, two additional shuttle vans will be available for late-night transportation. The shuttles, which are fully accessible and free to students with a university ID, will operate from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. University shuttles will not run along Centro bus routes during hours of operation. 

Also announced Wednesday, DPS and the Syracuse Police Department will work together to implement new security cameras in near-campus locations. Additional updates will be dispersed once the cameras have been installed.

The new safety measures were provided in consideration of feedback students provided in the spring. At a Feb. 18 forum following the February assault of three students of color on Ackerman Ave., students urged DPS to make late-night transportation services more available. 

SU announced in a March campus-wide email that DPS would be adding two drivers and vans to the department’s late-night safety shuttle system, Shuttle 44. The university also said licensed security officers would also patrol areas east and north of campus as part of SU’s safety escort patrol program.