Dino Babers explains passing issues, previews matchup with Maryland at weekly press conference

Babers blamed injuries and a lack of continuity on the offensive line for Tommy DeVito's lackluster performance against Liberty.

After throwing for 176 yards and two interceptions in its season opening win at Liberty, Syracuse’s passing game has even more questions surrounding it than it did entering the season. On Monday during his weekly press conference, SU head coach Dino Babers attributed the struggles to injuries suffered during training camp and timing issues that stemmed from them. 

“The throwing game is so delicate, it’s so sensitive,” Babers said. “You start taking pieces out and moving them around, it changes everything. And I think that’s what you saw.”

Babers is likely talking about the injuries to various wide receivers throughout camp, which caused them to sit out various drills and scrimmages. While redshirt sophomore wide receiver Ed Hendrix was out for the duration of camp with a lower-body injury, fellow wideouts Sean Riley, Nykeim Johnson and Trishton Jackson all missed days of practice due to undisclosed injuries. 

Sam Heckel, who started Saturday’s game at center, missed a few days of preseason practice with an undisclosed injury before returning to the field for the end of camp. But the redshirt junior suffered another injury during the second quarter of SU’s win and didn’t return, prompting Airon Servais to move from left tackle to center. 

Babers declined to speculate whether or not Heckel will return versus Maryland, although he is listed on this week’s depth chart at center along with Servais. 

“Sam’s got an upper-body injury,” Babers said, “and right now, we’re continuously checking on his progress to see if he’s gonna be available or not for the game.”

Meanwhile, Babers confirmed that defensive tackle McKinley Williams, who suffered a lower-body injury early on in training camp, will not play against the Terrapins on Saturday. The senior sported a boot on his left foot throughout August and while Babers said Williams is “right on pace” with his rehab, this week is still too soon for a return. 

Babers called Maryland a “very interesting opponent,” citing its new group of coaches and transfers as reasons why SU has its hands full this week. The Terrapins took down FCS school Howard 79-0 in their first game, which was also the debut for head coach Michael Locksley, who spent the past three seasons as the offensive coordinator at Alabama. 

Among Maryland’s new players are a handful of transfers, including former Virginia Tech quarterback Josh Jackson, who threw for 245 yards and four touchdowns against the Bison. Joining Jackson as transfers are former Buffalo tight end Tyler Mabry, who caught a touchdown on Saturday, and linebackers Shaq Smith (Clemson) and Keandre Jones (Ohio State), who combined to make seven tackles. 

Aside from scoring a near-school record 79 points, the Terrapins only allowed 68 yards of offense, the fewest yards surrendered by any team in week one. 

“We wish we had an offensive outing the way their offense played along with the way their defense played,” Babers said. “Our eyes are wide open, and based off of how we played and how they played, I could see how people could have them favorite.”