‘150 Years of Tradition at Syracuse University’ showcases student memorabilia

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Meg Mason began curating the exhibit in fall of 2018. The collection includes close to 100 items of memorabilia and photo renditions.

Curator Meg Mason spent the fall of 2018 meticulously looking through old photographs of former Syracuse University students. She created copies of images and carefully selected which ones could tell a story of 150 Years of Tradition in the process.  

The exhibit, which includes photos, vintage freshmen beanies and other Syracuse memorabilia, “150 Years of Tradition at Syracuse University” is on display on the sixth floor of Bird Library. Mason said the collection has about 100 items, including aproximently 60 photo reproductions of student life. 

Rather than displaying the history of SU in a broad way, Petrina Jackson, the director of the Special Collections Research Center, said the department wanted to hone in on SU’s history through the traditions students have practiced throughout time.  

With an extensive collection of SU history, Mason said one of the challenges she faced was finding pieces that focused on interesting moments in the school’s history — that were visually stimulating — and could fit in the gallery showcases.  

While Mason’s curating process began in 2018, planning the exhibition took years of execution, said David Seaman, dean of libraries and university librarian. The process included working with communication and design point talent, among others, to create the space, Seaman said.  

a1_web_09-03-19_su150_coreyhenry_pe_33

The Ernie Davis jersey will be on display until October and will reappear in March 2020 until Commencement. Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Pieces included in the exhibit are Ernie Davis’ No. 44 jersey and Junius Stevens’ handwritten music sheet of the alma mater, which will both be displayed until October and reappear next year in March, said Mason. But she also included traditions that have adapted over time or have completely stopped — to highlight how much Syracuse has changed over the years. 

Mason decided to include the Saltine Warrior, who was replaced in the 1970safter a Native American student organization protested and asked the university to remove the mascot. She said while that tradition ended, it made room for a new oneOtto the Orange. 

“Some of these traditions that have died off or changed,” Mason said. “And I wanted to make sure that show that it’s not just the old traditions but also ones that are newer.” 

Other traditions that have since ceased in the 1940s include rushes, where upperclassmen would rub salt on the freshmen as a joke to get rid of their freshness, Mason said. 

The freshmen beanies also served an underlying purpose, Mason said. While they were mandatory to wear and indicated to people the first-year students around campus, they were also used to ensure first-years respected the upper class by tipping their hats to them, as a sign of respect. 

“So, that clearly was a tradition that has died away,” Mason said. 

A challenging aspect of the exhibit Mason said she wanted to convey was documenting SU’s shift from its original “pea green” and pink, which was then changed to azure and pink the year that followed. 

The shift to orange occurred around 1890, Mason said. By then, various students advocated for a color change. Around that time, orange ribbons decorated the graduating class’ diplomas, Mason said. 

For Mason, recent events are ones that students may not think of as traditions. Some of these include the Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration held in February, and the international Thanksgiving event which are “quintessential.” Mason said this is especially the case for Thanksgiving since it shows students from foreign countries what the holiday would typically be like. 

With Orange Central approaching later this month, Mason anticipates that alumni will want to reminisce about their time at SU. Mason said she hopes visitors will record their own traditions in a book that will be available for all to write in. a1_web_09-03-19_su150_coreyhenry_pe_31

The freshmen beanies served to help upperclass men identify first-year students, who had to tip their hats as a sign of respect. Corey Henry | Photo Editor

“I want them to write about it. I want them to put their thoughts in there and tell me about their memory about that tradition,” Mason said. 

SU has changed throughout the years and while in some ways it’s almost unrecognizable from the one building Syracuse was first established on, said Seaman. There are some traditions and core beliefs that are still present today, Mason and Seaman agreed. 

Mason said while the university has always had a sense of inclusion, citing how SU accepted women and people from various backgrounds its first year, there have been times when SU was more inclusive than other time periods. But with the varying moments in history the exhibit reflects the shifts that SU’s taken. 

“In celebrating the sesquicentennial, we look to our history and I think this is a natural place to do that,” said Mason.