Syracuse undefeated in Italy exhibition series

Ali Harford | Senior Staff Designer

Syracuse won its last three games by at least 40 points against an array of Italian teams.

Syracuse swept its four-game excursion through Italy this week. After winning the first game by 10 points, the Orange didn’t play another opponent within 40 points. It was the Orange’s first international preseason trip since 2013. That year, Syracuse won its first 25 games. 

The Orange enter 2019 with just one returning starter, Elijah Hughes. Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett left early to enter the NBA Draft, and seniors Frank Howard and Paschal Chukwu left a young roster behind. With four new freshmen on the trip — Quincy Guerrier, Jesse Edwards, Joe Girard III and Brycen Goodine — and another, John Bol Ajak, that didn’t travel, the Orange will be one of the more inexperienced teams in the nation when the regular season begins on Nov. 6 against Virginia.

Below are recaps from Syracuse’s trip abroad. 

Vs. All-Stars Varese

Syracuse got its first peek at its new-look lineup with a closer, 69-59 win over All-Stars Varese. The Orange were led in scoring by Hughes while the other four starters showcased their potential production in larger roles.

Guerrier showed touch on his jump shot and rebounding prowess with nine points and eight rebounds. He will likely fill the void left by Brissett, a fellow-Canadian, who signed with the Toronto Raptors on an Exhibit 10 deal.

Buddy Boeheim, who earned starts at the end of last season, scored 11 points. Goodine added 11, too. Though Syracuse started the game sloppy from three, shooting 4-of-18 in the first half, SU made seven threes in the second half to help build its lead.

“It’s going to take a while,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said after the game. “We need to shoot. We started off (and) made some threes in the second half and we got the lead.”

Vs. Oxygen Bassano

Buddy’s 22 points carried Syracuse to its first blowout win of the Italy tour, 103-54, against Oxygen Bassano. Buddy attempted — and made — just one shot from inside the 3-point line and added five points on free throws.

Bourama Sidibe, who earned the second-most minutes, shot just 4-of-9 but dominated on the boards with 15. Presumed starting point guard Carey showed off his scoring a game after making his first impression in that role and had six assists to go along with 11 points, even hitting one of his two three-point attempts.

italy-freshman

Amy Nakamura | Co-Digital Editor

Vs. Siena Summer Select Team

SU’s second blowout win of the series, a 115-56 rout of Siena Summer Select Team, featured six double-digit scorers for the Orange. Girard III totaled 16 points in just over 17 minutes to lead Syracuse. Carey and Guerrier added 15 and 14 points, respectively, while Hughes converted three 3s. 

Sophomore guard Robert Braswell played 21 minutes and scored at the line and from the field while pulling down four defensive rebounds. Sidibe’s five blocks and Buddy’s three 3-pointers added to the 59-point win.

The Orange recorded 18 more field goals than Siena and had their best shooting performance of the trip — 53.5 percent. In the fourth quarter, Boeheim deployed the team’s three walk-ons for a few minutes.

“We have a lot of guys that can shoot,” Boeheim said postgame, “and everybody is unselfish. They get the balls to those guys.”

Vs. Team Virtus Roma

Syracuse closed out its trip with a 82-42 victory over Team Virtus Roma on Sunday. Hughes led the Orange with 20 points while Sidibe totaled 17 rebounds.

SU finished the first quarter with a 21-7 lead and it never relinquished. The scoreboard was reset after each quarter and the closest period between the two sides was 18-15. Hughes finished off Virtus Roma in that quarter with a steal and 3-pointer for the Orange.

The Orange left Italy on Aug. 20 and being the 2019 season on Oct. 26 with an exhibition against Daemen.