Ice Hockey

Former SU women’s hockey player Brooke Avery signed by Metropolitan Riveters

Ally Walsh | Staff Photographer

Brooke Avery helped lead Syracuse to its first-ever CHA title in program history.

After eighth grade, Brooke Avery didn’t want to play ice hockey anymore — she had lost her love for the game. With a push from her father, she didn’t quit. Two tough years at New Hampshire led her to weigh leaving the game again.Still, she stayed with the sport.

Following her graduation from Syracuse as a College Hockey America (CHA) champion, Avery thought, once again, she was hanging up her skates for good.

But now, she’s playing professional hockey.

The former forward signed with the Metropolitan Riveters on Aug. 20, a National Women’s Hockey League (NWHL) team out of Monmouth Junction, New Jersey. She joins teammate Allie Munroe (Stockholm) as the second member of the defending CHA champions to sign a professional contract this summer.

Avery hadn’t been in contact with any NWHL coaches ahead of the 2018 draft, but interest rose with her level of play last season, she said. Also, because of a growing boycott among current and prospective NWHL players over a living wage and poor working conditions, a limited talent pool may have played a part in the Riveters’ interest in Avery.

Avery had 22 points, the same number as the season before, but she set a career-high in assists with 12, and was an integral part of an attack that won its first CHA title.

Following the Orange’s championship run last March, the Riveters were the first to email Avery. They never heard back.

“I didn’t follow up because I honestly didn’t expect it,” Avery said.

This summer, though, Connecticut and Buffalo also showed interest, and Avery became serious about a professional career. But, she wanted to ensure her public relations degree wouldn’t go to waste.

findingthenet

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

“I told all the coaches that my education and my potential of getting a job professionally was really important for me,” she said.

According to an NBC Sports report, the average salary in 2016 was $15,000, so players often work multiple jobs to supplement their income. Avery will be no different.

The connections and job opportunities in the area, Avery said, were the deciding factors in her settling on New Jersey. Avery is interested in sports communications.

Avery has a number of contacts at Princeton University via SU teammate Emma Polaski, whose parents both attended the university. Her dad, a former men’s player, reached out to the athletic director on her behalf.

“There’s a lot of potential for me (here),” Avery said, “Both in the rink as a player while also being able to develop my career professionally outside of hockey as well.”