Orientation Guide

Campus organizations plan events for first-year students

Daily Orange file photo

The LGBT Resource Center, Disability Cultural Center and the Office of Multicultural Affairs are all located in Bird Library.

Cultural organizations and resource centers at Syracuse University have planned events and programming for first-year students who are making the transition to SU’s campus this fall.

To start the year, the LGBT Resource Center, Disability Cultural Center and Office of Multicultural Affairs will host a welcome mixer to promote “cross-cultural exchange,” according to the 2019 Orientation guide. The mixer will be held on Aug. 28 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Bird Library, Room 548.

The cultural centers will also hold a welcome fair Aug. 29 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Quad. American Sign Language interpretation will be provided at both events.

Here are a few other programs and events to keep an eye on this fall.

LGBT Resource Center

Bird Library Suite 548

The LGBT Resource Center is a place for students of marginalized genders and sexualities to find community and education, according to the center’s website. The center offers social events, programming and training throughout the school year.

Starting in September, The LGBT Resource Center will hold two discussion groups —Embody and Fusion. Embody is a discussion group for genderqueer, gender nonconforming and transgender students. Fusion is a group for LGBTQ students of color.

Both discussion groups are closed to the general public. Exact dates for the groups have not been set.

Slutzker Center for International Services

310 Walnut Place

The Slutzker Center for International Services is a resource for international students at SU. The center assists students both before and after they arrive with problems surrounding immigration status, employment and cultural social and academic transitions, according to the center’s website.

On Fridays throughout the fall semester, the Slutzker Center will host Mix It Up, a program that seeks to create a safe space for students to have open cultural dialogue and create a strong sense of community on campus. Mix It Up is open to all students, and the first event will be on Aug. 30 from 5 to 7 p.m.

The center also facilitates the Connections mentoring program, which puts new international students in contact with experienced students to help them navigate common issues. There are currently 25 mentors available for the fall 2019 semester.

Office of Multicultural Affairs

Bird Library Suite 548

The Office of Multicultural Affairs is a resource for students from historically underrepresented racial and ethnic groups at SU, according to the office’s website.

Available exclusively for first-year students, the Wellslink Leadership Program is an academic excellence and leadership program that provides mentoring and hosts academic, social and cultural enrichment activities. Another mentoring program, the NASPA Undergraduate Fellow Program, opens first-year students up to scholarship, mentoring and professional development opportunities.

Dimensions and fullCIRCLE are two additional mentor-based programs that are open to students of color. Dimensions is available specifically for women from diverse backgrounds.

The Office of Multicultural Affairs also hosts extended programs and courses for students. C.A.R.E— Conversations About Race & Ethnicity — is a six-week dialogue program focused on identifying systems of oppression and discussing personal experiences.Verbal Blendis a seven-week course that helps students improve their confidence in writing and performing original poems.

C.A.R.E. and Verbal Blend will begin in September and October, respectively.

Disability Cultural Center

Bird Library Suite 548

The Disability Cultural Center provides programs and outreach focused on disability and diversity.

On Sept. 9th. at 3 p.m., Director of CNY Fair Housing Sally Santangelo will give a presentation on Disability rights and Housing in Syracuse. The location has not yet been decided.

The Disability Cultural Center host the IceAbility Adaptive Ice Sports Expo at the Tennity Ice Pavilion on Sept. 14 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. This event will feature accessible hockey, curling and ice-skating. Ice-skate rental will be free.

The month of October is Disability Awareness month. Though event dates and locations are undetermined, Ryan O’Connell from Netflix’s “Special” will give a presentation in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium in late October, said Disability Cultural Center Coordinator Kate Pollack.