Basketball recruiting

Takeaways of 3 Syracuse recruits from the 2019 Nike EYBL Dallas session

Arabdho Majumder | Asst. Digital Editor

Team Final's Noah Collier averages 7.9 points per game in the EYBL this year.

DALLAS — Three 2020 four-star recruits — Andre Jackson, Noah Collier and Woody Newton — that have Syracuse listed as one of their top schools on 247Sports played in the final Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) session in Dallas this weekend. No college coaches were present, as per NCAA regulations, but the six Drive Nation courts featured some of the highest ranked players for the 2020 and 2021 classes.

Here are some takeaways about each potential Orange recruit.

Andre Jackson – City Rocks (NY)

Jackson showed he was versatile on both ends of the court, but his shooting at the free throw line was a concern. He went 11-for-24 from the charity stripe over the weekend and is shooting under 50% from the line in the EYBL. He shot 47.1% from the field in five games this weekend, but most of his shots came close to the rim. He’s only made one 3-pointer in 13 attempts this year in the EYBL, as well. 

Although there are questions about his shot, he’s made up for it offensively in other ways. He moves in half court sets, and aside from his Friday night game, was assertive in demanding the ball to drive and kick. His post game is unrefined, but a mixture of length, athleticism and strength make him capable of scoring down low.

On multiple possessions, he looked to plant himself on the low-block and make quick moves off the entry pass. He’s mainly a slasher, often drawing help and getting other guys open. He makes good decisions passing and has the vision to find open shooters — he averaged 4.6 assists per game over the weekend — but his passes don’t always catch shooters in rhythm.  

Saturday night, City Rocks played Boo Williams (VA), which features ESPN’s No. 21 ranked prospect for 2020, Cameron Thomas. Jackson defended Thomas, shadowing the shifty guard for all 36 minutes. Thomas dropped 33 points on 13-24 shooting, but many of those when Williams was able to force switches. One-on-one, Jackson was beaten by Thomas’ quick first-step sometimes, but in most cases, he was able to either guide Thomas to help defense or force him to take contested mid-range jumpers.

Jackson, a guard, has a similar mold to Frank Howard with the length and height to play at the top of the zone, which is something Syracuse coaches have talked to him about, Jackson said. The Orange were his first high-major offer and have been talking to him through his entire recruiting process, he said, and he’s taken both an official and unofficial visit already.

“I just want to be comfortable at the school I’m going to go to,” Jackson said. “As long as I feel comfortable and I feel at home, I’m going to play my game, and that’s the most important thing.”  

Noah Collier – Team Final (PA)

Collier wasn’t as assertive as Jackson on the offensive end, but with a long and lanky frame, he’s still strong enough to fight for boards on the inside while defending guards and forwards. His highlights came from dunks and he showed flashes of an ability to drive and finish.

His shooting is also a concern. He’s shot 19-for-35 from the foul line in EYBL this year and took fewer 3-pointers than Jackson, going 2-for-11 from deep. He’s not a playmaker, so his offensive contributions come mainly from rebounding and finishing inside. He averaged only 7.9 points per game in EYBL this year but plays a larger offensive role at the Westtown School (PA), going for 14 points a game this past season, Westtown head coach, Seth Berger, said. 

Collier didn’t have a standout game except in Team Final’s last game, which was a 95-39 blowout win on Sunday afternoon. He scored 19 points, shooting a perfect 7-for-7 from the field. He also had three steals, which led to dunks on the other end. Collier’s a vocal player, Berger said, and his leadership showed over the weekend.

Woody Newton – Team Takeover (DC)

Newton called himself the best defender in the country on Friday night, and he backed up the statement with solid defensive performances over the course of the weekend. He’s not a flashy defensive player, only averaging 0.8 steals and 0.4 blocks per game, but he’s hard to beat off the dribble and his length affects shots even when not blocking them.

Newton was often put on opposing guards, and he had no problem staying in front of them with his 6-foot-8 frame. On a very talented Team Takeover, he is one of their defensive anchors. As they came back from down 20 points on Friday night, Newton was used exclusively on defensive possessions toward the end of the game. He prides himself on his defense, Newton said, knowing that’s the best part of his game.

woody-newton

Woody Newton shined on the defensive end this weekend and will make his college decision on Tuesday. “Syracuse has always shown me love,” he said, “They’re always watching my games.” Arabdho Majumder | Asst. Digital Editor

Newton’s not always able to create his own shot but shot 40% from deep on 20 attempts this weekend. His breakout offensive game came on Sunday morning when he had 21 points on 8-of-9 shooting from the field.

He’ll be the first of the three to announce his college decision, doing so on Tuesday. Newton didn’t want to hint at which school he’ll pick, but he said: “Syracuse has always shown me love; they’re always watching my games.” Newton said SU coaches liked his versatility, shooting, and defense, and he thinks he brings the ability to lock up the best players in the country.