SU appoints Alford as permanent chief diversity and inclusion officer

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Alford was chosen out of a pool of nearly 200 candidates.

Syracuse University has appointed Keith Alford as the university’s first chief diversity and inclusion officer following a months-long search, SU announced on Monday.

Alford has served as interim chief diversity officer since July 2018. He also works as the chair of the School of Social Work in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. SU’s search committee chose Alford from a pool of nearly 200 candidates, according a Monday SU News release. 

As interim chief diversity officer, Alford helped create the Student of Color Advisory Committee in response to student demands after the Feb. 9 assault of three students of color on Ackerman Avenue. Students on the committee will collaborate with the Department of Public Safety on issues such as student safety, late-night transportation and DPS intervention, Alford said in a Feb. 19 campus-wide email.

Alford chairs the Inclusive Leadership Assembly, a committee made of faculty and staff from each of SU’s schools and colleges that discusses ways to better support SU community members. He is also a member of the Council of Diversity and Inclusion, designed to help departments at SU understand bias, diversity and inclusion across campus.

Alford has also worked as associate professor and director of the graduate program for Falk’s School of Social Work.