Graduation Guide 2019

Here’s where to find convocation, commencement ceremonies for SU’s schools and colleges

Talia Trackim | Presentation Director

The Syracuse University 2019 Commencement will take place Sunday in the Carrier Dome.

Syracuse University will hold its 2019 commencement ceremony Sunday at 9:30 a.m. in the Carrier Dome. Each school and college at SU will also hold its own convocation and commencement ceremonies for graduating students Thursday, Friday and Saturday before the university-wide commencement. 

College of Arts and Sciences 

The convocation for undergraduate Arts and Sciences students will take place Saturday in the Dome at 8:30 a.m. Following the ceremony, a reception will be held at 10:30 a.m. in tents on the Quad. Dina Eldawy, Nathan Shearn and Cristina Colón Feliciano will serve as marshals for the college.

The Arts and Sciences graduate convocation will also be held Saturday in Crouse College’s Setnor Auditorium at 2 p.m. The graduate reception will be held at 3 p.m. in Strasser Commons at Eggers Hall.

College of Engineering and Computer Science 

The College of Engineering and Computer Science will hold its convocation Saturday at 8:30 a.m. in the Manley Field House. Mary Spio, a Class of 1998 graduate, will speak at the convocation. Spio is the founder and CEO of CEEK VR, a virtual and augmented reality company. Simone Burns and Ruby Batbaatar will be the college’s marshals.

A reception will be held at 10:30 a.m. in a tent at Manley.

College of Law

The commencement for the College of Law will be held Friday at 11 a.m. in the Dome. The college will hold a reception at 1 p.m. in the Levy Atrium at Dineen Hall.

Erika Simonson will serve as the marshal for the College of Law. Reshma Saujani, CEO and founder of Girls Who Code, will give the commencement speech. 

College of Visual and Performing Arts

VPA’s convocation for undergraduate and graduate students will take place Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the Dome. Oscar-nominated director Chris Renaud, a Class of 1989 graduate, will speak at the convocation. Steven Visceglia and Kali Wilson will be the college’s marshals.

A hooding ceremony — where VPA master’s degree recipients receive their master’s hoods from the college’s faculty — will also be held Saturday in Setnor Auditorium at 4:30 p.m. The reception for both the convocation and the hooding ceremony will be held at 9 p.m. in the Dome. 

David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics

Falk will hold its convocation Saturday at 4:30 p.m. in Manley Field House. A reception will be held at 6:15 p.m. in a tent at Manley. 

Anthony de la Fuente and Mary Mik will serve as marshals. Falk’s convocation speaker will be Brandon Steiner, chair of the college’s Sport Management Advisory Board. Steiner is a Class of 1981 graduate. 

Graduate School 

A hooding ceremony for doctoral students will be held on Friday at 5 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium at Schine Student Center. The school will hold a reception in Schine’s Panasci Lounge at 6 p.m. The ceremony and reception are invitation-only. Jacob Hall will be the Graduate School’s marshal. 

Martin J. Whitman School of Management

The Whitman convocation will be held in the Dome at 4 p.m. Saturday. A reception in Whitman, at 6 p.m., will follow the ceremony. The school’s marshals will be Rachel Anne Melvin and Hendrik Hilpert.

Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs

Maxwell’s undergraduate convocation will be held Saturday in the Dome at 8:30 a.m., as part of the Arts and Sciences undergraduate convocation. Receptions for the schools’ different majors will be held at 11 a.m. at various locations around Maxwell and Eggers halls. 

A convocation for Maxwell’s graduate students will take place on Friday at 10 a.m. in Hendricks Chapel. At 11:30 a.m., a reception will be held at the Maxwell Hall patio and foyer. 

School of Architecture 

The School of Architecture will hold its undergraduate and graduate convocation Saturday at 9 a.m. in Hendricks. Caroline Barrick and Ethan Russell-Benoit will serve as marshals. Mike Haynie, SU’s vice chancellor for strategic initiatives and innovation, is the school’s convocation speaker. 

Following the convocation, a reception will be in Slocum Hall at 10:30 a.m., featuring students’ 2019 theses and 2018-19 Boghosian Fellow exhibitions.

School of Education

The convocation for the School of Education will take place on Friday at 12:30 p.m. at Manley. A reception will be held at 1:45 p.m. in a tent at Manley. 

Cerri Banks, an SU alumna and the dean of students and vice president for student affairs at Skidmore College, will speak at the convocation. The school’s marshals will be Lauren Czudak and Emily Durand. 

School of Information Studies

The iSchool will hold its undergraduate convocation Saturday at noon in Goldstein Auditorium. A reception will follow the ceremony at 1:15 p.m. in Panasci. Spio will serve as the convocation speaker. Shanyah Saunders and David Robusto will serve as marshals. 

A convocation for iSchool graduate students will also be held Saturday in Goldstein Auditorium, at 3 p.m. A reception will be held in Panasci at 4:30 p.m.

S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

Newhouse’s convocation will take place Saturday at 12:30 p.m. in the Dome. The school’s marshals will be Megan Falk and Joseph Pucciarelli. Class of 1985 graduate Doug Robinson will speak at the convocation. Robinson is the founder of DRP Doug Robinson Productions, a production company.

A reception will be held at 2:30 p.m. in tents on the Quad. 

University College

The convocation for University College will be held Thursday in Hendricks at 6 p.m. There will be a reception after the ceremony at 7 p.m. in Tent A on the Quad. The college’s marshal will be Holly Terry.

The Renée Crown University Honors Program

The Renée Crown University Honors Program will hold a ceremony for its graduating students in Hendricks at 3 p.m. Friday. The program will hold a reception at 4 p.m in Tent A on the Quad. 

SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

SUNY-ESF will holds its 2019 commencement ceremony Saturday at 2 p.m. It will be held at the SRC Arena and Events Center at Onondaga Community College. 

Other graduation events at SU

Here is a list of ceremonies, receptions and events that will be held for various groups and communities at SU:

• SU will hold a veterans graduation ceremony at 10 a.m. in Grant Auditorium at Falk on Friday.
  • An Itanwa Orinwa ceremony will be hosted by the Student African American Society. It will take place Friday at 7 p.m. in Goldstein. 
  • The United States Air Force & Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps commissioning ceremony will take place Friday at 5 p.m. in Hendricks.
  • SU’s Winnick Hillel Center for Jewish Life will hold a bagel brunch Friday at 11 a.m. The event will take place in the center’s building at 102 Walnut Place.
  • A Posse Scholars celebration will take place Friday at 11 a.m. at Tent A on the Quad.
  • A Coronat Scholars reception will be held in the Hall of Languages on 4 p.m. Saturday. 
  • SU will hold a multicultural graduation reception Sunday at noon in Panasci. Reservations are required.  
  • The Catholic Center will hold a baccalaureate mass at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. It will take place at the center’s building at 110 Walnut Place.