Tennis

Gabriela Knutson’s career ends with 1st round loss in NCAA Individual Championships

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Gabriela Knutson finished second in all-time wins for SU.

Gabriela Knutson took 15 measured steps to the net where Stacey Fung was already waiting. Syracuse’s only NCAA singles tournament participant shook hands with Fung, bypassed the chair umpire and high-fived Shelley George softly — all for the last time. 

Syracuse’s stalwart for the last four years was eliminated. An unseeded Fung dominated Knutson from start to finish, cruising to a 6-2, 6-2 victory in the first round of the NCAA Women’s Tennis Singles Championship on Monday morning. Knutson lost her final four career matches, all in straight sets. She finished the year 16-11 in singles overall, the second fewest number of wins in her four years at SU.

There were flashes throughout the first set of what the Czech senior has done all season at the first singles spot for Syracuse. Her flat groundstrokes matched with a deft touch at the net propelled her to as high as No. 13 in the ITA rankings. She had numerous ranked wins this year, including two against top-five opponents. Her backhand power was unmatched on Monday by Fung, and her forehands kept the Washington senior moving laterally until she no longer could chase down each ball.

All too often, those moments were accompanied by unforced errors preventing Knutson from developing a steady rhythm. Her return game struggled as she sent forehand after forehand careening into the net, passed the baseline, or wide of the singles line. With Fung serving for the match, Knutson gifted three unforced errors for three match points. In all three rallies, Knutson was the aggressor and in control. But at crucial moments, like on a backhand approach shot, she couldn’t convert.

Her body language, normally fiery, was muted. After a backhand winner, a loud “Come on” carried across the six courts at the USTA National Campus. It had come from two courts beside where Knutson was playing. Even after a forehand winner, Knutson gestured with her arms in front of her, speaking to herself instead of celebrating the point.

The final rally lasted just three shots. Knutson sent another forehand into the net, and in just over an hour, Fung ended the career of Syracuse’s first singles All-American since 1995. Knutson packed her bags and slung it over her right shoulder as she followed Fung off the court.