Summer Guide 2019

Food truck rallies to gather in Syracuse

Courtesy of Jeanne Catalfano

The Bite Box Food Truck owner Jeanne Catalfano said one of its more popular dishes is the "Chicken and a Waffle Cone."

As summer is about to begin in Syracuse, local food trucks are revving to life.  The following are just some of the rotating food trucks that you can catch at fairs, festivals, farmers markets and more. In collaboration with the Syracuse Food Truck Association, the weekly Food Truck Rally began Wednesday, May 1. Each Wednesday, six food trucks will be selling food on Water Street in Clinton Square. Along with the rally, other food trucks like Bold Coast Lobster Co. can be spotted at the Food Truck Friday Roundup on June 21 at the Aloft Syracuse Inner Harbor.  

Toss ‘n’ Fire Wood-Fired Pizza 

Owned by Nick Sanford, Toss ‘n’ Fire is one of the few food trucks in Syracuse to specialize in pizza. The reason for starting a pizza food truck was simple: “I love pizza,” Sanford said.  

When Sanford started his food truck four years ago, he said that people were constantly asking him where his restaurant was located. Sanford opened his restaurant of the same name a year and a half later in North Syracuse. It serves wings, sandwiches and salads in addition to pizzas.  

foodtruck_courtesy_08

Owner Nick Sanford began operating his food truck, Toss ‘n Fire Pizza, four years ago. One of the specialty pizzas made in the food truck are the Salt Potato Pizza. Courtesy of Nick Sanford

With a wood-fired oven imported directly from Italy on the truck, Toss ‘n’ Fire is able to cook pizzas in 90 seconds at 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. The two specialty pizzas are the Salt Potato Pizza and the Cheeky Monkey Pizza, which has a spicy tomato oil drizzled on top, Sanford said.  

“Our goal is to work together to spread the positivity about food trucks and help people understand that food trucks are everywhere and part of the economy to help bring people to the area,” Sanford, who is also a founding member of the Syracuse Food Truck Association, said.  

The Bite Box

Although The Bite Box is supplementary to the two restaurants owned by Jeanne Catalfano — The Deli Downtown and A La Mode Cafe & Catering — it has its own “eclectic menu” embodying many cuisines, she said 

“There are some trucks that like to do one type of food, where we like to mix it up,” Catalfano said. “We do a lot of custom menus, especially when it comes to catering and weddings.” 

Besides specialty sandwiches, Catalfano said one of the menu items that has become best known over the past five years are the “Chicken and a Waffle Cone,” which consists of a waffle cone filled with mashed potatoes and chicken topped with their signature homemade Sriracha maple syrup. 

Ponchito’s Taqueria

Featuring a Latin American menu, owner Frank Mignacca takes great pride in the tacos, burritos and quesadillas that he makes, he said. In addition to running a food truck, Mignacca is planning to open a third restaurant on June 3, which will feature a cantina and serve specialty sandwiches.  

Mignacca said that after many trips to Central and South America, specifically Peru, he realized that nearly every “roadside meal was eaten on a tortilla.”  

Ponchito’s other specialty item is the “Smothered Nachos,” which have pico de gallo, guacamole, jalapeños, lettuce and a choice of meat all over a bed of freshly made tortilla chips.  

“The events are always fun,” Mignacca said. When people come, eating is one of their main pleasures there, and you’re it and they’re happy to see you.” 

food-trucks

Amy Nakamura | Co-Digital Editor

Byblos Street Grill 

Famous for its falafel and traditional lamb gyro, owner Fady Khabbaz and his partner Larry Pankow have been operating a food truck for the past five years. 

Khabbaz also owns two other restaurants, Byblos Bar & Grill and Byblos Mediterranean Cafe, which have more extensive menus. 

After entering the food truck business, Khabbaz joined the SFTA, where he has applied his business expertise in promoting food trucks and trying to make street vending a viable option for vendors, he said  

We are a group of food trucks comprised of seven steering committees, and 29 total members,” Khabbaz said. “Our mission is to give back to the community and provide them with several food options and a unique experience.”  

Khabbaz said he feels especially connected to Syracuse after getting a masters degree in business administration from Syracuse University.  

foodtruck_courtesy_03

Mediterranean food truck, Byblos Street Grill serves lamb gyro and falafel. Courtesy of Fady Khabbaz

Bold Coast Lobster Co.

The newest food truck to be featured, Bold Coast Lobster Co., brings fresh seafood creations to central New York. Owner Kate George said that their season begins in conjunction with the start of the lobster season in May. 

“The best part of owning and operating a food truck is being able to meet and serve new people who become not only customers, but friends,” George said. “To see people enjoying our food is truly a pleasure.” 

George added that their truck seeks to bring nearly every iteration of lobster possible. They serve traditional items like Maine Lobster Rolls and New England Clam Chowder, and newer dishes, like Lobster Mac & Cheese.  

“Difficulties come from being able to work through a variety of different issues right on the spot,” George said. “You almost have to be a jack of all trades in this business because anything can and does happen when you work in a mobile kitchen.”