Letters to the Editor

There should be water fountains on every SU dorm floor

Talia Trackim | Digital Design Editor

Dear editor,

Although the majority of the weather here in Syracuse is cold year-round, it’s still very important to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. Water is your best friend in college. The human body is made up of 60% water and therefore it’s essential we drink plenty of water every day.

Water serves many purposes in the body and serves various benefits, especially for student brains. It’s proven that when we are thirsty, it’s a lot more difficult to keep our attention focused on our studies because according to Psychology Today, “dehydration can impair short term memory function and the recall of long term memory.”

Drinking water improves brain function, which is an important factor for student success. According to a research study, “college students who drank water during exams received better grades due to the physiological effect on thinking functions and alleviation of anxiety.” This serves as a great example as to why there should be water fountains (preferably the automatic ones) on every floor in the dorms here at Syracuse University.

For the sake of the environment and college student budgets, it’s not ideal to purchase and drink plastic water bottles. If water fountains were installed on every floor in the residence halls then students would be more inclined to use reusable bottles, therefore saving money and helping the environment. Not only do SU students study hard, but they also tend to party hard.

Alcohol is a diuretic which means that it creates increased urine production and then can lead to dehydration. The importance of drinking water while consuming alcohol or after a night out is imperative to replenish the body and cure a hangover. Therefore, we should make it a priority to have easy access to water for students at all times.

I believe our pricey tuition should be spent towards features such as this, especially because the dorms are very old. Staying hydrated at all times is imperative to thrive here at SU.

Sincerely,

Elise Kim

Sophomore in David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics