Slayton drafted to Giants, 6 other former SU players heading to NFL teams

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

Syracuse only had one player drafted, but six others have signed with NFL teams.

UPDATED: May 13, 2019 at 10:00 p.m.

One former Syracuse player was selected in the 2019 NFL Draft  and several others signed as undrafted free agents soon after. 

Former defensive tackle Chris Slayton was drafted by the New York Giants with the 245th overall pick in the draft on Saturday, a seventh-round pick. Slayton, a three-year starter in the middle of the Orange’s defensive line, commanded double teams, freeing up SU’s defensive end duo of Kendall Coleman and Alton Robinson. And despite the extra blocking attention, Slayton is still ninth all-time in Syracuse history in tackles for loss (32.5).

He joins a Giants team fresh off a 5-11 season. Interior line is a need for a talent-depleted defense, one that traded away dominant run-stopper Damon Harrison during the 2018 season.

Five other former SU football players had signed with teams as undrafted free agents.

nfl-draft-updated-1

Amy Nakamura | Senior Design Editor

Koda Martin, a graduate-transfer right tackle and son-in-law to Dino Babers, joined the Los Angeles Chargers. Martin played two years at Texas A&M and started 12 games at left tackle his senior year. Cody Conway, a three-year left tackle who started 33 games at SU, signed with the Tennessee Titans.

Former wide receiver Jamal Custis, one of the Orange’s two players invited to the combine (Slayton was the other), signed with the Kansas City Chiefs. In four seasons, Custis caught 64 passes for 1048 yards and eight touchdowns. Four-year running back Dontae Strickland is heading to the southwest after signing a contract with the Arizona Cardinals. He rushed for 1717 yards and 15 touchdowns at Syracuse, starting his junior and senior seasons.

Ravian Pierce also was awarded an invite to the Cleveland Browns rookie minicamp. In 22 games for the Orange, Pierce caught 45 passes for 368 yards with seven touchdowns. Before coming to Syracuse as a junior, Pierce spent his first two collegiate years playing for Southwest Mississippi Community College.

After remaining unsigned for nearly five days following the draft, former Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey signed as an undrafted free agent with the New York Giants. The four-year starter threw for 9340 yards and 58 touchdowns with a career completion percentage of 61%. Dungey rushed for 1993 yards and 35 touchdowns, and left SU as the program’s all-time leading passer.

Notable former Syracuse players still unsigned include linebackers Ryan Guthrie and Kielan Whitner.

This post will be updated with additional reporting.