city

Here’s why the viaduct, tunnel options were rejected for I-81

Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

Reconstruction of the viaduct would displace 527 residents and 753 employees.

The New York State Department of Transportation chose the community grid option as its initial recommendation for replacing the aging Interstate 81 viaduct on Monday, rejecting options to rebuild the viaduct or construct a tunnel.

Rebuilding the current viaduct along I-81 was rejected due to the amount of people that it would displace and “unreasonable socioeconomic impacts,” according to the Draft Environmental Impact Statement released on Monday.

NYSDOT also considered the “orange tunnel” option, which would funnel traffic under the city from University Hill to the I-80/Interstate 690 interchange. Due to the high cost and duration of the tunnel, the NYSDOT dismissed the concept from further study, calling it “unreasonable.”

A tunnel would total $4.9 billion in construction costs and annual maintenance costs of $16.5 million. Construction of the tunnel would take 11 years and require 39 total building acquisitions.

i-81-1

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

The community grid option involves demolishing the current I-81 viaduct between University Hill and the I-81/I-690 interchange. This option would disperse traffic along city streets and involve reconstruction and reconfiguration of streets in downtown Syracuse.

Several mayors and town supervisors throughout Onondaga County, particularly in suburban towns and villages, supported maintaining the viaduct’s current route through Syracuse. The Onondaga County Legislature’s Republican caucus also said it supported maintaining the current route due to “significant adverse effects” caused by the community grid.

“Our priorities have been consistent since day one — public safety, efficiency of traffic movement, commerce and keeping our entire region connected,” County Legislature Chairman David Knapp said in a statement.

i-812

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

The community grid would take five years to build and cost $1.9 billion, according to the state’s report. Demolishing and reconstructing the viaduct to current standards would cost $2.2 billion and take six years to complete. Reconstruction of the viaduct would displace about 527 residents and 753 employees, while the community grid option would require the acquisition of three operating business, totaling 35 employees.

At a Tuesday press conference, Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon expressed his support for a hybrid option that would combine a tunnel with a community grid. Gov. Andrew Cuomo previously ensured that the tunnel option was included in NYSDOT’s study but has not released a statement since its release.

The state’s initial recommendation of the community grid is far from the final word on I-81’s future. There will be a 45-day public comment period, a final impact statement and a decision by the state and the Federal Highway Administration.

The community grid would improve pedestrian and bicycle accessibility, minimize the effect of highways on “neighborhood character” and revitalize the region’s “urban core” for sustainable future growth economic competitiveness, according to the report.