THE DAILY ORANGE

George Wazen

DPS officer works to build positive relationships with students

who-is-syracuse-branding

Editor’s note: “Who is Syracuse?” is a series that runs in The Daily Orange every spring. It highlights individuals who embody the spirit of Syracuse. Members of the community were encouraged to nominate people they thought fit this description. This series explores their stories.

G

eorge Wazen sent an email to his student staff, asking if they could come to his office to join him for his “Who is Syracuse?” interview. Of the 52 student employees, 20 came, greeting Wazen with a smile. For him, the student staffers represent more than just his employees – they are a beacon of change for the future.

“(The students) see the badge and I have a weapon on my side. I want to make them see beyond that, this is just my job this isn’t me. This is my responsibility,” said Wazen.

Wazen was born in Kuwait in 1967. He moved to Lebanon in 1973, but went back to his home country once the Lebanese Civil War began. After high school, Wazen and his family moved to Syracuse, where they met up with family members already living there.

His uncle, who earned a master’s degree at Syracuse University, encouraged Wazen to pursue his collegiate career at SU. Following his advice, Wazen first began his studies at Onondaga Community College before transferring to SU for three years.  Since then, Wazen said, his ties to the university have only grown.

He now serves as the Department of Public Safety’s library operations coordinator at Bird Library, where he manages more than 50 students as floor monitors.

Wazen worked in his family’s realtor business for more than 10 years, but switched career paths in 2005. He then worked as a DPS community service officer for almost five years. Wazen eventually grew complacent with the job, he said.

He knew being sworn in by the Syracuse police academy would allowing him to contribute more to the university’s community. In 2010, he talked to Anthony Callisto — then-DPS chief, now senior vice president for safety and chief law enforcement officer — about joining DPS.

Callisto encouraged Wazen to join the city of Syracuse police academy and, after completing his training, Wazen began working overnight shifts as a campus officer. He received the Bird Library office job in 2015 and began directing his student-workers.

The program, which began in the early ‘80s by SU Libraries’ Facilities and Security Manager Tom House, aimed to have students serve as an extension of the library’s security branch.

a1_embed_alexandramoreo_ssp

When Wazen assumed the position in spring 2016, he was in charge of only 18 students, but he saw the potential of adding more staff to oversee each floor. Wazen said that by extending coverage hours and staff on each floor, students could help identify suspicious behavior. Duties of these student-workers include reporting unattended property and addressing maintenance issues, Wazen said. 

As the program grows, Wazen said the balance between boss and mentor is dynamic and ever-evolving. When it comes to his student workers, he said a relationship has been established where he learns from his students as much as they do from him. While he teaches the students security training, they teach him about campus trends and share the struggles they’re currently facing. “Campus police officers, they really are in a unique position,” Wazen said.

“We’re about building relations and seeking that teachable, mentoring moment with the students.”

– George Wazen

These lessons are not ignored by his staff. Taylor Kyles, a senior public relations major, said he worked at a pool club during the summer and remembered the attitude Wazen had with his staff. He wanted to emulate the same leadership style.

“It’s not easy to handle a group this big with people from all over campus and have the atmosphere that we have,” Kyles said. “It’s because of the respect that he shows and especially with the position that he has, you would expect him to kind of be a hardass, but he really is not.”

Other students said the diversity found among the staff is a type of workplace they don’t otherwise see on campus. Alberto Lainez, a senior floor monitor, said he wished SU reflected more like Wazen’s workplace. Wazen’s staff echoed that his office is somewhere students can talk openly about their concerns — without it feeling too constructed.

Victoria Batista, one of the floor monitors and one of Wazen’s longest-standing employees, said while the job involves remedial tasks like swiping people into the library, Wazen has taught her the importance of excelling in the “small jobs.” Batista said they’re just as important as tasks which hold more responsibility.

Many of the students said they hold their position with high regard and don’t let Wazen down because he acts as a father figure and treats them as equals.

Both students and Wazen said the workplace is like an extended-family. Wazen said he often spends more time at SU than with his children, who are also young adults, and knows how hard it is to be away from his own kids.

Beyond his mentoring responsibilities, Wazen also conducts workshops. As a R.A.D. defense instructor, Wazen helps teach people how to defend themselves against a threat. The latest event he helped coordinate, “De-stress with DPS,” encourages students studying for finals to take a break by petting therapy dogs and eating food.

Wazen is also an international student liaison officer for the Slutzker Center for International Services. Here, he bridges international students affairs and DPS investigations. He said he particularly likes helping the center because he remembers the culture shock he had moving to Syracuse. Until he moved to the U.S., Wazen said he had never eaten McDonalds or drank Coca-Cola.

As graduation sneaks closer, Wazen said this is the hardest time for him, as he will have to say goodbye to his graduating students like Kyles, Lainez and Batista. But he finds solace in knowing their time at SU has prepared them to “change the world.”

The most rewarding part of his job, he said, is when his students visit SU after graduating.

“You have this weapon in your hand called your education,” Wazen said, “and whether you choose to continue or start your productive career, you have this education from SU — which is invaluable.”

Photos by Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer