Community grid construction to take 5 years

Wasim Ahmad | Staff Photographer

The construction of the community grid will be broken into two phases.

The community grid replacement option for the aging Interstate 81 viaduct would take about five years to complete, according to a report released Monday by the New York State Department of Transportation.

NYSDOT concluded in its Draft Environmental Impact Statement report that the community grid method was best suited for replacing the viaduct, which reached the end of its usable life in 2017. The grid would level the 1.4-mile viaduct and redirect traffic along city streets.

Construction of the community grid would be broken into two stages. The first stage would focus on the demolition of the viaduct, while the second stage is divided between reconstructing Interstate 690 and the interchange between I-690 and I-81.

Several streets in the University Hill neighborhood, such as Crouse and Irving avenues, would be reconstructed during the five-year project.

Phase one

The first stage of the project would last about two years. NYSDOT’s community grid plan would redirect I-81 traffic to Interstate 481, which would be redesignated as the new I-81. The current I-81 route would become Business Loop 81.

Before the I-81 viaduct is demolished, Interstate 481 and I-690 would need improvements to handle increased traffic. Maintaining sufficient traffic operations and tackling congestion during construction is also listed as a goal in the report. Reconstruction of city streets would also occur during the first stage.

timeline

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

The 1.4 mile section of I-81 between University Hill and the I-690 interchange to the north will be demolished. A railway bridge would be constructed over the new Business Loop 81 near Renwick Avenue.

An I-690 interchange between Crouse and Irving avenues, located on University Hill, will be partially constructed during the first phase. Both lane shifting and shoulder closures will be necessary along I-690 during the construction period.

Both the north and south interchanges of I-81 and I-481 would be altered during phase one, and the roadways would be widened at specific points to handle traffic redirected from I-81.

The current I-481, will have at least four travel lanes, two in each direction, when it is redesignated as I-81. Current I-481 road signage would also be replaced with I-81 signage. After this construction is complete, the demolition of the 1-81 viaduct would begin late into phase one.

After I-481 has been redesignated, northbound traffic on Business Loop 81 will be redirected to a new portion of the loop, between MLK, Jr. East and Van Buren Street. Van Buren will become the new University Hill entrance for traffic coming from the south. When the viaduct is completely torn down, traffic toward University Hill will travel along the street-level Business Loop 81.

As part of phase one, the portion of Almond Street between Van Buren and Adams streets would shift to the west and be converted into two northbound one-way lanes. These changes to traffic flow would only last through the grid’s construction.

Sections of Almond Street will be permanently reconstructed, with some portions seeing construction early in the first phase and others only being reconstructed once the viaduct demolition starts. Work on Almond Street is expected to stretch into the project’s second phase.

Phase two

The second phase of the community grid construction plan is scheduled to take three years and is broken into two 18-month-long subphases.

Eastbound I-690, along Leavenworth Avenue and Beech Street, will be reconstructed and realigned during the first subphase, with construction expected to the entire subphase. Traffic will be redirected to city streets between interchanges on Crouse and Irving avenues.timeline2

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

A primary detour route will direct travel along West Street to Crouse Avenue during construction. Traffic would reenter I-690 after passing through Crouse Avenue.

Once the detour is in effect, University Hill-bound traffic would travel south on West Street or eastward on West Genesee Street and Erie Boulevard.

timeline3

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

The second subphase will include the reconstruction of westbound I-690 along Leavenworth Avenue and Beech Street. During construction, westbound traffic will be rerouted along the new eastbound 1-690, completed during the first subphase. Eastbound traffic will continue to follow the primary detour route until construction is complete.

Any remaining construction along the northern Business Loop 81 median will be completed during the final subphase, as will the Almond Street construction.