On campus

Archbold Gymnasium on schedule to reopen in fall 2019

SU plans to invest $45 million in university facilities and to work on more than 80 capital projects over the summer.

Syracuse University’s Barnes Center at the Arch is scheduled to reopen by the time students return for the fall 2019 semester, a university official announced Friday.

What was Archbold Gymnasium will reopen in the fall as a $50 million complex featuring a multi-floor fitness center with a rock climbing wall and a multi-activity sports court. The Counseling Center and Health Services will be relocated to The Arch.

Pete Sala, vice president and chief facilities officer, said in his Friday email that the steel installation for the Arch is complete. Construction in Building A is “significantly complete,” with finish and millwork installations ongoing, he said. Mechanical, plumbing and electrical work in Building B is under way, and the pool installation in Building C is 50% complete.

SU plans to invest $45 million in university facilities and to work on more than 80 capital projects over the summer, Sala said.

Structural steel installation is also complete for the National Veterans Resource Center, a $62.5 million project to centralize veteran services at SU. Curtain walls in the center will begin to be installed in May, with construction on schedule for a January 2020 opening, Sala said.

Preliminary work for the replacement of the Carrier Dome roof has begun, and the project’s contractor is preparing a foundation pad for a crane on the stadium’s west side. The pedestrian walkways from the Sadler and Lawrinson residence halls to Main Campus have been modified for the construction, Sala said.

Infrastructure, renovations and utilities work to Link Hall will begin this summer as part of the construction of the Bill and Penny Allyn Innovation Center. The center is expected to cost $6 million and will house the College of Engineering and Computer Science’s recruitment, advising, course support, research and internship services.

The final stage of the Crouse College renovations will begin this summer, Sala said. The building’s three rooftop cupolas will be removed for restoration immediately after SU’s Commencement in May, and will be re-installed on the building in August. Scaffolding installation for the project is also in progress, Sala said.

Here are some other projects that will be worked on during the summer, according to Sala:

• Renovations in the Hall of Languages will be completed this summer. Tiered lecture spaces in rooms 107 and 207 will be renovated with new seating, paint and carpeting, among other things.
  • Construction on the Hinds Hall ICE box will begin this summer. The final design of the area is complete, and the project will add 1,000 square feet of “flexible program space” on the building’s second floor.
  • Day and Dellplain residence halls will receive renovations over the summer, and the roof of Lawrinson Hall is scheduled to be replaced.
  • As part of the university’s Campus Signage and Wayfinding project, the installation of new parking lot signs will begin in May.