Mayfest 2019

6 things to know about Whethan, Mayfest performers

Courtesy of University Union

Whethan, Saba and Adult Mom will perform at Mayfest 2019 on Friday afternoon in Walnut Park, hosted by University Union. The concert is free for all undergraduate Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF undergraduate students.

With University Union’s annual Mayfest and Block Party celebration happening this weekend, you’ve probably already purchased your tickets or religiously stalked your class’ Facebook page for one. To prepare for this weekend’s concerts, here are some fast facts you should know about Saba, Whethan and Adult Mom. 

Whethan 

He’s 19 years old 

Whethan, whose full name is Ethan Snoreck, is a 19-year-old DJ and music producer from Chicago who got his start on SoundCloud as a music producer. His revisioning of MssingNo’s track “XE3” currently has approximately 12 million plays on SoundCloud.  

He’s opened for The Chainsmokers 

Whethan opened for The Chainsmokers on their “Memories…Do Not Open” arena tour. While on tour, he had to take a short break in order to attend his high school graduation in May 2017.  The tour traveled to  40 cities nationwide, giving the young DJ a big platform to make a name for himself. 

Saba  

Saba has Chicago roots 

Saba is a 24-year-old independent rapper and producer from the West Side of Chicago. DJ Booth named Saba’s album, “Care for Me” as the No. 1 hip-hop album of 2018. But, if you haven’t heard Saba’s music before, you might recognize him from another famous rapper — he was featured in Chance The Rapper’s song “Angels.” 

Saba draws from personal struggles in his lyrics 

Saba’s 2018 album “Care for Me” is dedicated to his late best friend and cousin Walter Long Jr. who was stabbed in Chicago. In his song, “LIFE,” he referenced the incident saying he struggled with the death, in an interview with Genius. He also discussed his uncle’s death and his father’s lack of present in his life as obstacles he had to “overcome.”  

Adult Mom 

Adult Mom’s career kicked off at SUNY Purchase  

Adult Mom began in Stephanie Knipe’s bedroom as their first semester at SUNY Purchase was coming to an end in December 2012. Adult Mom initially began as a solo project before becoming a collaborative band with their friend and fellow musician, Olivia Battell 

Their name began as an inside joke
In an interview with Retrograde Magazine, they said the inspiration behind their stage name came from an inside joke shared between friends. 

My friends were like, obsessed with calling me mom because I’m kinda like the mom of the friend group and it was like a name for me — an identity,” they said in the interview. “Adult Mom is just like me not really feeling like an adult or any kind of mother, etc., so like, poking fun at myself.”