5 ways to de-stress this finals season

Amy Nakamura | Senior Design Editor

As finals week kicks off, students are gearing up for late nights in Bird Library writing essays and studying for exams. The Daily Orange Pulp staff has compiled a list of events and activities to de-stress during finals week.  

De-stress with dogs  

The Department of Public Safety and Student Association will host De-Stress with DPS at Bird Library Wednesday night from 8 to 10 p.m, where students will be able to pet therapy dogs. Some food will also be provided at the event, which aims to have students take a break from studying. George Wazen, DPS Library operations coordinator, said there will also be a survey in which students can express concerns or suggestions regarding their experience with DPS.  

Help from librarians 

SU Libraries has subject librarians to help students research specific topics of their choice. Each of the 28 librarians specializes in one or more topics in 56 subjects. The librarians help students research topics for essays and projects, said Stephanie JH McReynolds, a librarian specializing in business and entrepreneurship. 

“If students are having trouble finding a source for their paper or project, or just overwhelmed by all the databases we offer and other books or resources we offer,” said McReynolds. 

McReynolds said that while the subject librarians are helpful, they can’t be of assistance at all hours of the day, nor will they read over student essays and tests. However, there is someone available to help at all times. With the chat feature on the library’s website, students can talk to a librarian from across the country or the world, if an SU librarian isn’t around.  

Meditation at Hendricks Chapel 

Hendricks Chapel provides students with an opportunity to clear their minds and take a break from their busy schedules with hour-long meditation sessions. 

Buddhist Co-Chaplain JoAnn Cooke recommends meditation to students who are stressed about finals because it allows them to find peace during a demanding time. 

“What meditation will do for you is really stop that swirl of thoughts, that busy mind — and give you some clarity,” Cooke said. 

Senior practitioners, Zen Center of Syracuse and students lead the meditations, which are held in the Small Chapel in the lower level of Hendricks Chapel. Although the sessions last an hour, participants do not have to stay the whole time. The first 15 minutes of the meditation consists of instruction on posture and breathing; then participants engage in 30 minutes of sitting in silence and stillness; and the final 15 minutes provides an opportunity for talking, sharing experiences and asking questions.           

Following the last day of classes, meditations will be held on Thursday at 9:30 a.m., Friday at noon and 4 p.m. and on May 6 and 7 at noon. The Small Chapel is also available any time during finals week for students who want to meditate on their own. 

People’s Place coffee 

People’s Place, located in the basement of Hendricks Chapel, is a quiet place to grab a drink and relax during finals week. 

People’s Place employees offered recommendations on how to de-stress. Sarah Butts, a sophomore television radio and film major, said that, when she needs to relax, her favorite People’s Place drink is vanilla almond tea. Chloe Crookall, a sophomore studio arts major said she recommends mint tea. 

While you’re downstairs, People’s Place staffers recommend that you check out the Noble Room, an underrated study spot. 

“We have the Noble Room which looks like a very fancy library, but there’s couches and there’s tables where you can do work or you can sit and relax,” Butts said. “It’s a nice space.”  

Crookall recommended studying in Panasci Lounge. Located above the Schine cafeteria, Panasci Lounge has windows that feature Hall of Languages views. It’s a calming place to cram out final assignments of the semester. 

Orange After Dark Send-off Stressbuster 

Orange After Dark will host a Send-off Stressbuster at Schine Student Center from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. on May 5. The event will feature a variety of stress-relieving activities, including yoga and massage services. 

“Those kind of services are catered towards wellness and just cooling off,” said freshman Sujean Gahng, a member of the OAD Event Board. 

OAD usually holds a Pancake Stressbuster at this time of year, but this time, they wanted to change things up, in light of Schine being demolished next year. 

Gahng said in addition to their usual health-related activities, students will be able to paint the basement walls in a room near the Jabberwocky Cafe, which is what she’s most excited for. “You can paint whatever you want,” she said. 

Other spots in Schine will include karaoke, therapy dogs, face masks and more. The event is free and no tickets are required.