Block Party 2019

5 things to know about Khalid before Block Party concert

Courtesy of University Union

Khalid will headline Block Party 2019 on Friday, hosted by University Union. The concert will also feature opening acts Rico Nasty and Kenny Beats.

Khalid will headline University Union’s Block Party 2019 on Friday. Before you send your friends your “location” via Snapchat, read up on some quick facts about Khalid. 

He has central New York ties

Khalid — whose full name is Khalid Donnel Robinson — was raised by a single mother who served in the military. Born in Fort Stewart, Georgia, he moved around several times before relocating to Watertown, New York, where he attended Carthage Central School. He moved to El Paso, Texas, for his senior year of high school. 

He’s a five-time Grammy-nominated artist

Khalid was nominated for five Grammys in 2018, including “Best New Artist,” “Best Urban Contemporary Album” for “American Teen,” “Best R&B Song” for “Location,” “Song of the Year” for “1-800-273-8255” and “Best Music Video” for “1-800-273-8255.” 

His producer spoke at the Bandier Music Program Lecture Series 

Courtney Stewart discussed how he first met Khalid, including how his first hit single “Location” gained viral status after Kylie Jenner posted a video on Instagram with the song playing in the background. During the Q&A led by Bill Werde, the director of the Bandier Program, Stewart attested Khalid’s success to his willingness to be featured on songs in R&B, soul, pop, hip-hop and funk. 

His biggest musical influence isn’t a performing artist

While his music has been influenced by artists like Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky and Father John Misty, he considers his mother to be his biggest musical inspiration, according to TheFamousPeople. 

His feature in “Runaway” mentions Syracuse

Khalid mentioned the city of Syracuse in Tayla Parx’s song “Runaway. The lyrics read: “I have a cabin in California / But the utilities are a couple months due / You have a house in Syracuse / Let’s plan a road trip, me and you.”