Softball

Syracuse still searching for consistency behind the plate

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

Syracuse still hasn't found a consistent starting catcher.

Heading into a weekend series with Indiana, Syracuse head coach Shannon Doepking predicted the Hoosiers would try to steal whenever they got on base and play a “high tempo.” To combat this, she pointed to the catchers throwing runners out as a way to prevent losing control of the game.

In the end, Indiana stole eight bases in two games, and Syracuse’s catchers only caught one baserunner in two losses. The lack of ability to throw runners out has been a recurring issue for the Orange, as they’ve thrown out five runners but have allowed 44 steals.

Doepking, who was an All-Southeastern Conference catcher at Tennessee before playing professionally, has started freshman Alexis “AJ” Kaiser, junior Gianna Carideo and sophomore Michala Maciolek at catcher. No catcher is hitting above .200, and Doepking said the position is a “big hole for us right now.” Maciolek started 37 of 50 games last year with Carideo as her backup. But as Syracuse (10-18, 2-4 Atlantic Coast) enters its first weekend series at Skytop Softball Stadium, the Orange still haven’t settled on a 2019 starter.

“I don’t really care whether it’s Mich, whether it’s AJ, whether it’s Gianna, I just think (catching is) an area that we can clean up and we need to take a little bit of ownership and realize the importance of it,” Doepking said.

Kaiser started with two home runs in the first four games. But since Feb. 17, she’s only recorded two hits and did not play in any of last week’s three contests against Boston College. In her place, Carideo played more than usual, but also struggled at the plate. Carideo went 0-for-6 in two games against BC, but caught two runners stealing. Kaiser has started 13 games, and Carideo has started three.

Both Carideo and Maciolek have a perfect fielding percentage, but Maciolek has thrown one more runner out. Maciolek’s .195 batting average is the highest of the three catchers, and she’s started the most games (16).

“I wouldn’t compare us,” Maciolek said. “I think we all equally offer different things that are great.”

Last year, Maciolek set a freshman record with 319 putouts and entered her sophomore season with the third-best fielding percentage (.991) in SU history. But she struck out (14) almost as many times as she reached on a hit (20).

“I think she’s grown a lot as a player,” pitcher Alexa Romero said. “She’s getting on base more frequently, she is really trying to develop herself as a catcher, which is very noticeable on and off the field.”

Romero, who doesn’t prefer pitching to any catcher more than another, has developed a strong relationship with Maciolek. Their bond helps when Syracuse is trying to keep a game under control, she said. Every time they take the field, Maciolek and Romero remind each other that the only thing separating them is 43 feet — the distance from home plate to the pitcher’s mound. “Simplistic” sayings and “constant talk” keep Romero relaxed in high-pressure situations, Romero said.

Still, Maciolek has struggled with the mechanics of popping up from her crouch and throwing down to second base, Doepking said. After one practice last week, Doepking’s legs were sore from demonstrating the proper footwork. Maciolek appreciates her coach’s “hands-on” approach and said the catchers work together to relay all the information their coach gives them.

“Right now,” Doepking said, “we’re just trying to find someone who can throw some runners out.”