SU holds Service of Commemoration to honor community members who have died

Dan Lyon | Assistant Photo Editor

More than 100 people attended Syracuse University's Service of Commemoration on Wednesday.

Syracuse University’s annual Service of Commemoration was held in Hendricks Chapel on Wednesday to remember SU community members who have died in the past year.

This was the third year that the service has been given. More than 100 people attended the service, which honored 84 students, faculty, staff, retirees and trustees.

“We gather to remember those that like the turn of the seasons, have now made their own sacred switch from this life to the next,” Hendricks Chapel Dean Brain Konkol said as part of the service’s welcoming remarks.

Konkol also began the service with a prayer.

Senior Kenny Buckner, a Remembrance Scholar, spoke after Konkol. He talked about being a part of the SU “Orange” community.

“In this family, everyone comes to share their stories, their jokes and their love at the table,” Buckner said. “And when we leave, whether it’s to another city or from this Earth, a plate is still set for each one of us.”

The Hendricks Chapel Choir performed "Ndikhokhele Bawo", a traditional Xhosa song, during the Service of Commemoration.

The Hendricks Chapel Choir performed “Ndikhokhele Bawo,” a traditional IsiXhosa song, during the Service of Commemoration. Dan Lyon | Assistant Photo Editor

The names of the students, faculty, staff, retirees and trustees who died in 2018 were read during the ceremony. Student Association President Ghufran Salih read the names of the two SU students who died: senior Brianna Herrera – who died in a bus crash in January – and alumnus Jason Starzyk. Madison Albert, a friend of Herrera, lit two candles for the students, one before their names were read and one after.

Chancellor Kent Syverud read the names of the faculty, staff, retirees and trustees who died, while Department of Biology Chair Ramesh Raina lit the candles. Syverud also spoke during the service.

He said it gets harder and harder each year to read the names each service, as each year he knows more people on the list.

“The memories are sweet, but it takes a toll to read this list,” Syverud said. “And yet, on this beautiful spring day, campus filled with young and not-so-young people, we cannot be sad. We really must be grateful for their lives.”

SU’s Hendricks Chapel Choir performed two songs during the service — “Flight Song” by Kim André Arnesen and “Ndikhokhele Bawo,” a traditional IsiXhosa song. Anne Laver, university organist, played at the beginning of the service and during its recessional.

kent-quoteAnna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

Freshman Morgan Eaton spoke at the end of the service. He said the memories of people who died are made more special when people work to better the lives of others in the name of those memories.

“When someone leaves us in a physical sense, we must take on the responsibility of two people, two lives and two legacies,” Eaton said. “We live our lives on our own terms but are guided by the presence of those who we care about most.”

After the service in Hendricks, the group moved outside the chapel to lay a wreath in front of the chapel steps. Albert, holding the wreath, led the recessional out of Hendricks.

Family and friends of the people honored during the ceremony tie white ribbons on the trees outside of Hendricks Chapel in memory of their loved ones.

Family and friends of the people honored during the ceremony tied white ribbons on the trees outside of Hendricks Chapel in memory of their loved ones. Dan Lyon | Assistant Photo Editor

The service attendees were quiet as they walked through Hendricks’ front doors and into the warm, sunny spring day. Hendricks assistants handed out white ribbons for people to tie onto trees after the wreath laying ceremony.

After another set of remarks by Konkol, the group joined together to sing “Amazing Grace,” before dispersing to tie ribbons onto trees, talk with other service attendees and remember those who have died.

“Today as we honor those who came before us, we honor now those around us,” Konkol said. “We look to the future in front of us with the faith, the hope and the trust that we may too be a beginning for others.”