city

Syracuse restaurants receive sexual assault prevention training

Haley Robertson | Feature Editor

Kitty Hoyne’s, Funk n’ Waffles, Pastabilities, Blue Tusk and Stoop Kitchen have all received training.

Several popular restaurants and bars in Syracuse have participated in a new bystander sexual assault prevention training program launched by Vera House last year.

The five restaurants that have already received training are Kitty Hoynes, Funk n’ Waffles, Pastabilities, Blue Tusk and Stoop Kitchen. Vera House, a local organization dedicated to preventing and responding to sexual and domestic abuse, received funding from the state to implement the program in alcohol-serving establishments in Onondaga County.

David Hoyne, owner of Kitty Hoynes in downtown Syracuse, said the restaurant’s hosts, bartenders, servers and bussers have all completed the program. After the training, staff members at Kitty Hoynes encountered and resolved a late-night incident in which patrons needed to be separated by several bartenders. The training helped them handle the situation, Hoyne said.

Hoyne said his restaurant staff has always looked out for the safety of patrons, and the training from Vera House provided the tools and strategies to intervene in a risky situation, he said.

“We want everyone to have a safe and healthy time here while still having fun,” Hoyne said.

Another popular late-night spot, Funk n’ Waffles, received Raise the Bar training. Manager Craig Lewis said the training was a positive experience for his bartenders and bouncers.

A total of 4,105 cases of domestic violence were reported in Onondaga County in 2017, according to data from the New York State Division of Criminal Justice. Women of color as well as members of the LGBTQ+ community are at a greater risk to sexual and domestic abuse, per the data.

The Center for Diseases Control and Prevention’s National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey found that about 26 percent of gay men and 44 percent of lesbian women will be sexually abused, physically abused or stalked in their lifetimes. About 47 percent of transgender people will be sexually assaulted in their lifetimes, according to the Human Rights Campaign.

A workgroup of restaurants owners and managers who have participated in the program have remained in communication with Vera House to further develop the training program, Brittany Pryor, Vera House’s healthy environment project coordinator, said.

Pryor said that, as the program develops, Vera House aims to expand training opportunities to more restaurants throughout downtown Syracuse and Onondaga County.

The training consists of two sessions that last two and a half hours each, Pryor said. A potential sexual assault can be prevented through recognition and successful intervention, she said.

The first session focuses on identifying sexual assault and recognizing sexually aggressive behavior, Pryor said. Staff members are taught intervention tactics depending on varying scenarios during the second session, she added.

Pryor said the restaurants currently in the program aim to minimize the number of uncomfortable and potentially dangerous situations in the area.

“They truly want the best for their patrons and their community,” she said.