Ackerman Avenue Assault

SU to hold forum for students to discuss Ackerman assault

Elizabeth Billman | Staff Photographer

Three students reported being attacked in the 800 block of Ackerman Avenue on Saturday at 12:40 a.m.

UPDATED: Thursday, Feb. 14, at 5:03 p.m.

Syracuse University will hold a forum on Monday evening for students to discuss last weekend’s Ackerman Avenue assault, Student Association President Ghufran Salih said. 

Hradsky, Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado and Interim Chief Diversity Officer Keith Alford will attend the forum.

The forum is scheduled for Monday at 6:30 p.m., Salih said. The forum will be held in Hendricks Chapel. 

The Daily Orange Editorial Board early Wednesday morning published a column online urging SU to “hold an open, public forum for all community members to address off-campus safety and the safety of students of color” following the Ackerman Avenue assault.

Chancellor Kent Syverud said at a University Senate meeting on Wednesday he is aware of the situation and is concerned for various reasons, including the safety of students. The forum was originally scheduled for Friday at 4:30 p.m., Dean of Students Rob Hradsky said at the meeting. 

Three students were attacked early Saturday morning in what some have called a racially-charged assault. Accounts of the incident by SU’s Department of Public Safety, the Syracuse Police Department, a widely-circulated student statement and accounts from students who were at the party have provided inconsistent or conflicting information about what exactly happened.

SU’s Student Association condemned DPS for its “lack of transparency” in notifying the student body of the assault, which SA has said was a racially-charged crime.

— Asst. News Editor India Miraglia contributed reporting to this story.

This post has been updated with additional information.