On campus

SU cancels Monday morning classes, citing strong winds

Dan Lyon | Asst. Photo Editor

Wind gusts are expected to hit 60 to 70 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service.

Syracuse University canceled Monday morning classes, citing strong winds, according to a campus-wide email sent out Sunday night.

Classes will resume at 12:45 p.m., and all online classes will continue as scheduled, according to the email.

The decision was made because of high wind warnings on Monday, according to the email. Only essential personnel will report to campus in the morning, including safety officials and food service workers, according to the email.

The National Weather Service issued a high wind warning through 7 p.m. on Monday. Winds will hit 30 to 45 miles per hour, with gusts of 60 to 70 miles per hour.

The email recommends that SU community members stay indoors, avoid unnecessary travel, be mindful of potential damage to trees and power lines and avoid campus construction sites.

SU also said the #31 Nob Hill and #39 Warehouse Express shuttles will not be operating, per the email. Both of those routes are part of Birnie Bus schedules. All Centro buses will run as normal, per the email.

Campus facilities will remain open, including residence hall dining centers, SU Health Services, the Counseling Center, the Women’s Building and Ernie Davis fitness centers and all university libraries.