on campus

SU announces Campus Framework town halls, construction updates

Molly Gibbs | Photo Editor

Renovations on student rooms, bathrooms and the first floor lounge in Day Hall will continue this summer.

Syracuse University announced three town halls for campus construction updates scheduled throughout the end of the spring semester.

The town halls were created to give the campus community information on continuing and upcoming construction projects on campus, Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala said in a campus-wide email. They are scheduled to take place from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. on March 5 in 010 Crouse Hinds Hall and on March 21 and April 11 in the Shaffer Art Building’s Shemin Auditorium.

“These projects are essential elements of the Campus Framework that are helping to reshape our campus to enhance the student experience and create greater accessibility to student spaces,” Sala said.

SU will have a total of 99 all-gender accessible restrooms on campus following construction of several new restrooms in Crouse College, the Shaffer Art Building and the Physics Building, Sala said.

sala2

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

Construction in Bird Library Suite 548 is complete, he said. The suite now houses the LGBT Resource Center, which was formerly located on Ostrom Avenue. The resource center moved to Bird after the university announced plans to build student housing on Ostrom Avenue.

The Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Disability Cultural Center will also relocate to Bird in May. The relocation is temporary, and the groups will move to the Schine Student Center following renovations.

Renovations to Schine will begin in May. The reconstructed building will create gathering spaces, improved student services and a new dining space, Sala said.

The Burton Blatt Institute will also relocate. BBI will move from Crouse-Hinds Hall to Dineen Hall’s fourth floor by the end of the spring semester to better collaborate with SU’s College of Law, according to the email. Construction on the new office suite will begin in March.

sala

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

Concrete pouring for foundation walls is nearly complete at the Barnes Center at The Arch, the fitness and wellness complex that will replace Archbold Gymnasium. Foundation walls for the pool were also poured.

Construction is 75 percent complete in Building A of The Arch, Sala said. Building B will continue to see mechanical and electrical work, and steel is being installed in Building C of the complex. A chilled water main will be installed at The Arch from March 5 through April 5.

The National Veterans Resource Center is still slated to open in January 2020. Structural steel installation will finish this week, and contractors will pour concrete floor slabs, dependent on the weather, Sala said.

Other building updates, according to the email:

• Renovations for four labs on the Center for Science and Technology’s third and fourth floors is expected to be completed this semester.
  • A university workgroup is overseeing a campus signage and wayfinding project designed to improve digital wayfinding, arrival signage, donor recognition signs and campus entrance identification. New parking lot signs are expected to be installed this spring.
  • Final design for expanding the Hinds Hall ICE Box by an additional 1,000 square feet will be completed in March. Construction will conclude in late fall 2019.
  • Shaffer’s glass block facade will be replaced this summer with construction expected to begin in mid-May. Construction drawings are complete and the project is out to bid.