Track &Field

Paige Stoner wins the 5000m at ACC Championships

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Paige Stoner is in her final year of eligibility.

Senior Paige Stoner continued her impressive 2019 season with an ACC title in the women’s 5000 meter, as her time of 16:06.48 was fast enough to capture first place. Freshmen Laura Dickinson also posted a 16:12.22 in the 5000m, which allowed her to take fourth place at her first ever ACC Championship meet. 

In the men’s 5000 meter, sophomore Noah Affolder took tenth place in the event with a time of 14:22.27. Senior Iliass Aouani was able to capture a bronze medal in his last ACC Championship 5000m. Junior Joe Dragon also posted a top-20 time, finishing in 18th place.

In the men’s mile, Aidan Tooker, Michael Phillips, and Nathan Henderson all qualified for the finals in that event. Tooker and Phillips finished 4th and 5th, respectively, and Henderson took eighth place as well.

Upperclassmen Matt Moore and Richard Floyd were also able to qualify for the 60-meter hurdle finals. Both runners dashed to times of 7.86 seconds in the prelims, with Moore just edging out Floyd with an exact time of 7.855.

The women’s 60-meter dash saw junior Dasia Pressley and sophomore Eunice Boateng both fall short of qualifying for the finals on Saturday. In the men’s 60m, Chris Tucker failed to qualify.

Paige Stoner also looks to add a 3,000 meter title under her belt, as she also qualified for the finals in that event.