Boeheim Crash

Jim Boeheim says he’s ‘heartbroken’ over fatal crash

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Jim Boeheim released a statement Thursday after his involvement in a fatal crash Wednesday night.

Jim Boeheim in a statement on Thursday said he was “heartbroken” after he fatally struck and killed a pedestrian while driving along Interstate 690 late Wednesday night.

“I am heartbroken that a member of our community died as the result of last night’s accident. Juli (Boeheim) and I extend our deepest sympathies to the Jimenez family. Out of respect for those involved, I will not be providing further comment at this time,” Boeheim said.

The Syracuse Police Department identified the victim Thursday morning as 51-year-old Jorge Jimenez of Syracuse, according to SPD Sgt. Matthew Malinowski. On Wednesday night, Jimenez was in a vehicle that had lost control, swerved into a divider and ended up in the middle of I-690 eastbound near Thompson Road in Syracuse, the spokesman said. The oncoming vehicle, driven by Boeheim, then tried to avoid the car but hit Jimenez, who was standing on the side of the road, police said.

boeheimcrash_mollygibbs_pe-7

The Syracuse Police Department identified the victim Thursday morning as 51-year-old Jorge Jimenez of Syracuse. Molly Gibbs | Photo Editor

All involved, including Boeheim, remained on the scene and cooperated with SPD, according to police. SPD Detective George Hack, also a spokesman for the department, told The Daily Orange on Thursday that nobody involved in the crash will be charged, at this time.

Syracuse defeated No. 18 Louisville, 69-49, on Wednesday night. The game ended just before 9 p.m. Boeheim’s press conference following the game ended at about 9:20 p.m., and Boeheim was in the locker room by 9:30 p.m. for player interviews.

Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack also released a statement about the crash Thursday morning.

“On behalf of Chancellor Kent Syverud and the entire Syracuse University community, we extend our deepest condolences to all impacted by this tragic accident,” Wildhack wrote.