Food column

Dip into these 6 tortilla recipes in honor of National Tortilla Chip Day

One of the most beloved snack foods in America, and my personal favorite, has to be the simple tortilla chip. A common restaurant appetizer, afternoon snack or party refreshment, the tortilla chip deserves to be recognized and appreciated. In honor of National Tortilla Chip Day, here are some dishes to help appreciate this wonderful snack to the fullest.

Southwestern Chopped Salad

This Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad is delicious and uses tortilla chips in place of croutons to add a bit more texture. This dish is delicious and filled with some great flavors. You can add a little bit of spice if you wish to by including jalapenos, or you can add some honey to give it some contrast.

If you still live in a dorm or don’t have access to a kitchen, you can remove the chicken and still have a great-tasting salad. This dish is perfect to start off a meal, but filling enough to make it a main course if you desire.

Chopped Taco Salad

Although this next dish is called a salad, it’s more like a taco bowl and uses tortilla chips instead of a hard taco shell. This chopped taco salad is a fun alternative to an actual taco, giving you the freedom to add and change ingredients. Instead of using chopped tomatoes, you can add some fresh pico de gallo or salsa. If black olives aren’t your thing, you can always add some diced avocado or beans instead. This dish is perfect for lunch or dinner, as well as any sort of party with friends or family.

Mushroom Tortilla Soup

While the weather has been cold and dreary lately, this next dish is sure to bring you comfort. This mushroom tortilla soup is perfect for these freezing winter days and will warm you up while you take the time to appreciate National Tortilla Chip Day. This savory and spicy dish is perfect for a snack or as a nice dinner.

Cream of Ancho Soup

If you aren’t too fond of mushrooms, then this cream of ancho soup is another option for a warm and spicy soup. The dish pairs great with tortilla chips, as you can dip them into the soup or use them for added texture. You can also add some avocado, cheese or chicken to make the soup a bit more filling or to fit your personal tastes.

Macaroni and Cheese

One staple college food that has stood the test of time is a classic mac ‘n cheese. Whether homemade or store-bought, try adding some tortilla chips instead of bread crumbs to give the dish more flavor and a different texture. If you want to try a new recipe, this vegan green chili mac ‘n cheese offers a fresh take on the college classic.

Nacho Hot Dogs

This next dish is a fun and creative mix of two famous stadium foods: hot dogs and nachos. These nacho hot dogs are great for a sports watch party or a friendly get-together. It’s easy to make and combines some of my personal favorite flavors. You can add sour cream, guacamole, cheese, salsa or all of the above to customize it to your taste. The crunch of the tortilla chips will also add an amazing texture, making these hot dogs some of the best ever.

Each of these mouthwatering dishes are easy to make, but there’s nothing wrong with some tried and true classics. Grab some friends, your favorite brand of tortilla chips and dip and be sure to appreciate this amazing snack on its day of recognition.