Beat writers predict decisive result as Syracuse hosts No. 18 Louisville

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

The Orange, pictured against Boston College, host two ranked opponents in a row, starting with Louisville.

Syracuse (17-8, 8-4 Atlantic Coast) returns to action after six days off when No. 18 Louisville (18-8, 9-4) visits the Carrier Dome on Wednesday night. The Orange come off a 15-point road loss at North Carolina State, while UofL edged Clemson, 56-55, on Saturday.

Here’s what our beat writers expect to happen on Wednesday night.

Billy Heyen (19-6)
Who knows?
Louisville 74, Syracuse 65

I can’t figure this Syracuse team out. There’s a chance they come out on Wednesday night, make everything and pick up a bounceback win. SU could also get run out of its own gym. I’ll go somewhere in the middle, but this squad is making predictions a thankless endeavor. If it’s an even game, I think Louisville’s Steven Enoch makes the difference. He’s 6-foot-10, 260 pounds and can shoot 3s. Not sure how anyone on the Orange can handle that.

Charlie DiSturco (18-7)
Cardinal sin
Syracuse 62, Louisville 75

This Syracuse team is an enigma and has struggled against the middle of the ACC in recent years. The Orange have struggled shooting the 3, and the zone has at times seemed shaky. Louisville shoots the ball well and ranks inside the top-80 guarding the 3 and 32nd inside the arc according to Kenpom.com. The Cardinals have a huge advantage heading into Wednesday night. SU is entering its roughest stretch of the season, with a two-game turnaround against No. 1 Duke on Saturday. Expect yet another double-digit loss for Syracuse.

Matthew Gutierrez (16-9)
Cardinal rule
Syracuse 62, Louisville 68

As much as a voice in my head is telling me Syracuse will bounce back and get its third Top 25 win of the season, another voice carries a little more weight. It’s also rooted in trends, and while Syracuse is by no means in a bad position, Louisville is positioned better. The Cardinals are balling, once holding a 23-point lead over Duke. The Cards are an excellent 3-point shooting team, and they’re too good right now not to win.