On campus

SU student dies in bus crash Thursday evening

Herrera was going home to visit family in Ozone Park.

UPDATED: Friday, Jan. 25, 2019 at 6:03 p.m.

Brianna Herrera, a Syracuse University senior, died in a bus crash Thursday evening in northern New Jersey along Interstate 80, state police confirmed Friday afternoon.

Herrera, an information management and technology major, was traveling home to visit family in the New York City area, Dean of Students Robert Hradsky said in a campus-wide email Friday.

The New Jersey State Police said Herrera died in a Prevost bus crash along I-80 in Parsippany-Troy Hills at about 7:30 p.m., according to a Twitter statement posted by the agency.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation, state police said. The agency said three cars were involved in the crash.

Herrera was reportedly on an Adirondack Trailways bus, per WBNG, a Binghamton-based news station.

The Division of Enrollment and the Student Experience has reached out to Herrera’s roommates, friends and members of Sigma Delta Tau, Hradsky said. He added that SU is working to help those affected, and that students can seek support at the Counseling Center, located at 200 Walnut Pl. 

An email sent out by Vice President of Recruitment for the Panhellenic Council Amanda Russell on Friday afternoon said that rush events on Friday were canceled and the remaining schedule for spring recruitment is to be determined.

“We will be taking today and the days to come to pay our respects to our sister,” the email said.

This post has been updated with additional reporting.