Snow plowing, the Mayor’s Ball and more stories from this weekend

Daily Orange file photo

The Syracuse Common Council approved a trial sidewalk snow removal program on Friday.

Here are some local news stories — from the city of Syracuse’s new snow plowing contract to the investigation of a local homicide  — that you may have missed from the past week.

Candlelight vigil held for Syracuse University student killed in crash

a3_embed_hieunguyen_ssp

Hieu Nguyen | Senior Staff Photographer

Hundreds of SU students stood on and around the steps of Hendricks Chapel on Friday night to remember SU senior Brianna Herrera, who died in a bus crash Thursday night.

Herrera, a member of the Sigma Delta Tau sorority, was travelling to visit family in the New York city area when the Prevost bus she was riding on crashed in northern New Jersey. The Panhellenic Council cancelled recruitment Friday so sororities on campus could honor Herrera.

Hendricks Chapel Dean Brian Konkol spoke at the vigil. He said the SU community can celebrate Herrera’s life “by living into the fullness” of their own.

Sigma Delta Tau President Erica Sosman, and Herrera’s roommate, Madison Albert, also spoke.

Common Council approves snow plowing contract

img_1932

Doug Henry (left) and Nick Henry are co-owners of JSK Snow Services. Patrick Linehan | Staff Writer

The Syracuse Common Council passed a resolution to begin a trial sidewalk snow removal program Friday.

JSK Snow Services Inc. will clear 40 miles of sidewalk in a designated trial zone on Feb. 1. This is the first time the city has cleared snow from walkways for pedestrian use. The contract has a $170,000 spending cap and is based on snow removal throughout the season.

The trial area will focus on areas in north and west Syracuse and will not include University Hill.

Director of City Initiatives Greg Loh said the trial will help city officials decide if the program will continue and expand to a larger scale.

2019 Mayor’s Ball held at Landmark Theatre 

nf_bridgetslomian-pd

Mayor Ben Walsh speaks at his second Mayor’s Ball held at the Landmark Theatre. Bridget Slomian | Presentation Director

Mayor Ben Walsh held the 2019 Mayor’s Ball on Saturday to fundraise for his reelection campaign. The ball was held at the Landmark Theatre in downtown Syracuse and ran from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

The event sold out, with tickets ranging from $150 to $2,500. Walsh held his Inaugural Ball last January. About 800 people attended the Inaugural Ball, and the event raised more than $100,000 before expenses, Syracuse.com reported.

At this year’s ball, Walsh thanked the attendees for coming and spoke about the recently-approved snow plowing contract with JSK Snow Services Inc.

Attendees included New York state Assemblyman William Magnarelli, state Senator Rachel May, former congressional candidate Dana Balter and Common Councilor Joe Driscoll, of the 5th district.

Syracuse police investigate shooting of 14-year-old girl

Four members of OG's Against Violence: Nitch Jones, Coran Klaver, Clifford Ryans and Adele Toney, hold a prayer outside of 921 Ballantyne Rd. A 14-year-old girl was shot inside the home on Tuesday afternoon and remains in critical condition.

Southside community members held a candlelight vigil for Mya Killeen on Wednesday night. Dan Lyon | Asst. Photo Editor

Fourteen-year-old Mya Killeen was shot Tuesday afternoon and later died from her injury, according to a Syracuse Police Department statement.

SPD responded to a call of a shooting on Ballantyne Road at about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. They found Killeen at the scene, who was transported by ambulance to Upstate University Hospital.

The homicide investigation is ongoing, according to SPD.