From the Kitchen

Rise N Shine Diner to open 2nd location designed by SU professor

Courtesy of Rise N Shine Diner

Rise N Shine Diner is known for their dessert-inspired breakfast foods and coffee. The popular restaurant is set to open a second location on Westcott Street this spring.

Mitesh Dixit, an assistant professor of architecture at Syracuse University, is no stranger to the food industry. He’s designed upscale restaurants in Paris and Milan — including one eatery with a mere eight tables. 

His current project, with his studio, is designing the second Rise N Shine Diner, which will boast custom furniture and wall materials. The popular local breakfast joint is opening a second location at 500 Westcott St., where Papa John’s Pizza used to be. Demolition has begun on the site and the diner is set to open around April.  

For Rise N Shine’s owner, Danielle Mercuri, Westcott was the ideal location for the new project because of the neighborhood’s “trendy” atmosphere and proximity to SU’s campus. 

“I think they will be more welcoming to the new, creative, weird ideas that we do,” she said. “I think it would just flow easier for us.” 

The other diner location, on Thompson Road, is overflowing with guests — they turn away 50 to 100 people daily because of long wait times, Mercuri said. And with 50 seats, the restaurant serves 250 to 400 people daily. 

Even Mercuri’s fiancé, Alan Diamond, has to tell his sons to call ahead for seating. 

“I used to go to Rise N Shine for breakfast and lunch every single day for a year,” Diamond said. “That was back when you could walk in and sit down and get a table.” 

To accommodate for the high volume of guests, the Westcott location will be larger — about 2,000 square feet with 80 to 85 seats. Diamond, who owns Trademark Restoration Inc., is assisting with the construction side of the project. 

Unlike the original location, the new restaurant will be open at night and will also feature a full-service bar. Mercuri added they would consider nighttime hours at the original location if they see success with the Westcott restaurant’s schedule. 

Rise N Shine’s second location will be located on Westcott Street, with the new restaurant expected to open sometime in April.

Demolition has started at the new site located at 500 Westcott St. The restaurant will have a full-service bar and custom furniture. Haley Robertson | Feature Editor

Rise N Shine Diner is best known for their dessert-inspired pancakes, specialty coffee beverages and towering “sammiches.” While some of the hit items will stay on the menu at the new location, Mercuri said it’s going to step up its game with an expanded “brunch-y” menu offered open to close.  

“This building can produce more, so we’re going to actually have even cooler stuff over there,” she said.  

The business’ rebranding isn’t only focused on the menu — the interior design of the Westcott location will be entirely different from the original. Mercuri said she’s investing time in the details, so every corner speaks Rise N Shine. 

Dixit’s business partner, Ryan Gillum, is spearheading Rise N Shine’s rebranding process. He has previously worked with the restaurant to develop marketing materials and has been tasked with redesigning their website, menu layout and logo.  

The collaboration between Dixit and Mercuri has been very productive, Dixit said, since neither is afraid to say something is a bad idea.  

“In architecture, we’re here to deliver a client’s idea. I think it’s really important that the client generates the vision,” Dixit said.“(Mercuri) is incredibly creative and has a clear vision of what she wants.” 

Mercuri said they plan to hire new staff members for the Westcott location, while transferring a few long-time employees from the original spot. Mercuri herself got her start at the diner as a waitress a few years before taking over the business in 2012.  

When asked if she ever imagined Rise N Shine would grow this fast, Mercuri said: “No, absolutely not.” 

“All I did was keep doing what I love and I couldn’t believe the amount of people that loved what we do,” she said. “Syracuse seems to loves us, so we’re gonna keep going.”