Kerry Blackshear Jr. has grown with Virginia Tech program

Courtesy of Virginia Tech Athletics

Kerry Blackshear Jr. has spent time in Spain and the Dominican Republic but is back with Virginia Tech after graduating early.

Kerry Blackshear Jr. arrived on Virginia Tech’s campus brimming with potential. He was the son of a basketball family, and his new VT coaches and teammates were praising a unique skill set that carried Blackshear to Spain and the Dominican Republic.

But that was then, and what followed only prevented Blackshear from delivering. He missed his entire sophomore season due to injury.

Now two inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than when he committed to No. 10 Virginia Tech (15-3, 4-2 Atlantic Coast), the 6-foot-10, 250-pound center is one of the most versatile big men in the country. Blackshear averages 13.7 points, 6.4 boards, 1.8 assists and 1.0 blocks per game. Blackshear and the Hokies welcome Syracuse (14-5, 5-1 ACC) to Blacksburg on Saturday following a double digit loss to No. 11 North Carolina.

“He was quiet for a long time,” senior guard and Blackshear’s roommate, Justin Robinson said, “But we got him to come out of his shell.”

As his personality blossomed, so did his play, Robinson said. But first, Blackshear’s future was in doubt when he underwent surgery on his left leg following his freshman season. He spent the offseason sidelined. As the beginning of the 2016-2017 season drew near, Blackshear said he believed he was ready to go. VT head coach Buzz Williams thought otherwise.

“Coach Buzz talked me out of it,” Blackshear said, “Looking forward, I think that was the best decision I ever made.”

Blackshear was granted a medical redshirt. In his second season the redshirt sophomore averaged 12.5 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 1.2 assists per game.

So far this season, he’s rebounded, despite breaking his nose in the team’s exhibition opener against Liberty, or, as Blackshear put it, “a little bump and bruise.”

Blackshear is driven by his family. His mom was a force under the boards for Stetson and wants her son to be more of one in his own right, Blackshear said. His father — whose career took Blackshear around the world — wants Blackshear to be more aggressive with the ball. His brother, a Florida Atlantic commit, thinks he’s a better passer than Blackshear.

As Blackshear’s grown, so has the program. After finishing 2-16 in the ACC the year before Blackshear and Robinson arrived, the Hokies currently sit in the top-10 for the first time since 1996.

“I wanted to take a chance,” Blackshear said, “and I think it’s paid off and will continue to pay off.”