Editorial Board

The D.O. Editorial Board supports independent student journalism

Talia Trackim | Digital Design Director

In recognition of Student Press Freedom Day, The Daily Orange Editorial Board stands with all student news organizations across the United States in support of independent journalism and the protection of the First Amendment.

The editorial board also offers its support and its ability to publicly advocate for change to all struggling student news organizations in the U.S.

On this day, and all others.

While The D.O. is independent of Syracuse University, and is an incorporated corporation, many college newspapers and other organizations do not have the same level of autonomy The D.O. has. We’re financially independent of SU, and can report on controversial topics here without risk of censorship. Many students don’t have that luxury.

Whether financially independent or not, especially now as the U.S. president calls journalists “enemies of the people,” and college publications are threatened with being shut down, the editorial board understands that it’s The D.O.’s responsibility to advocate on behalf of student reporters, editors, photographers, designers, artists, writers, social strategists, videographers. And not just in our own newsroom.

It’s our responsibility to protect the country’s best training grounds for future generations of professional journalists.

The editorial board can be reached by email at [email protected]. #SaveStudentNewsrooms.

Student Press Freedom Day was organized on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019 by the Student Press Law Center.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email [email protected].